Suitable contact cleaner ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just brought a can of aerosol product, contact cleaner ! But i'm not sure with the thing i brought ! It was a multi purpose contact cleaner (at least the label says that)

It was HD-350, at the bottom section of the link given.
http://hardexworld.com/products/cleaning-lubricating.aspx
I just noticed on the website there is a electronic contact cleaner.... but nvm.... brought from electronic shop (one & only contact cleaner anyway).

The person said it was suitable for V.R.(pot) aka. volume knob. She say just spray some into the holes of it, then turn the knob full-range few repetition. I notice there is a word "formulated as water displacement and water retardant to improve electrical conductivity and reduce friction " will it accidentally conduct throughout the potentiometer in its own way ? (shorting)

Do i require to use some material to absorb/clean up the cleaner after some time ?

In short sense, does this cleaner safe to use and effective ?

Additional question:
I was suspecting my amplifier(old)'s potentio having problem(too old ?), the problem was that the speaker will sound very distorted (only on one side though) but will disappear once the amplifier run for a certain time (the factor here is heat ? range from 1 to 10 minutes)

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've used a few types over the years, you want to avoid ones that have lubricant in them, it will get all over the circuit board, and will generally lift off any silk screening, and otherwise make a sticky mess.

You want something that says no residue.

The best I've found is crc co contact cleaner, though I'm not sure if it is available outside Australia. Plastic-Safe Electronic Cleaning Solvents from CRC Industries

replacing the pot (if possible) is the best option and unless its a real audiophile one, probably cheaper than a can of spray ;)

Tony.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've had bad experiences with so called contact cleaners (admitedly some time ago) in that they attacked (softened) plastics over weeks and months. That's speaking as a service engineer where these things were in daily use.

If its a volume control then best to replace or open the old one up and move the wiper slightly so that it runs on a fresh part of the track.

Your fault doesn't like the volume control tbh... maybe start a new thread if you have no luck :)

winter - Thanks for the tips ! the pot is not audiophile quality, but near, certainly cheaper than the spray, but unit of few sure cheaper, cause spray can use for many application !

mooly - aha, i have to agree with you ! (although i haven't tried this can, but other i used some will 'love' plastic, haha !) I try to avoid opening up the VR, since its difficult and messy to dissemble it from the board and all other stuff.

probably not it's fault, still on the case though ! Do some fixes on the amplifier, see if the problem persist ! wish me good luck !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.