ClarityCaps MR "outer foil"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi friends,

I have a set of Clarity Caps MR capacitors (2.2µF 630V, Ref: MR2u2H360Vdc).

Does one of you know if "outer foil" is the LEFT or the RIGHT pin of the cap when reading the "Clarity Caps brand logo" on the blue envelope of the cap ?

Or is there a s.i.m.p.l.e method not requiring a entire electronic circuitry to identify it...

This will help me to correctly position the caps on the printed circuit !

Thanks very much,

My process was to take my function generator and put out a 1k sine wave across the cap. The common of the function generator and common of oscilloscope should be tied together.

Probe with the scope probe around the case of the cap. If the 'hot' of the function generator is tied to the outer foil, you will be able to see very easily the 1k sine wave on the scope. If the common of the generator is tied to the outer foil, you will have no signal on the scope. You can swap the cap around and try each way to prove consistency in detection.

Some caps easily show a difference, others (FT-3, FT-1, K40Y) show no measurable difference, so my conclusion is outer foil is irrelevant with some caps.

If you don't have a function generator, there is a method using line voltage through a step-down transformer, but that's getting a little more complicated.

I have used my oscilloscope and the method described here:

This method works with the other capacitors I have around, for example the MIT RTX, but with the ClarityCaps MR, I get the same signal with both orientations! the oscilloscope displays more or less the same signals so I am unable to identify the outer foil.

So I wonder if the ClarityCaps have an outer foil or not ??

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

So you used the 'hold the cap in your hand' method?

yes

Maybe the question to ask is "if I can't detect an outer foil with my scope, why should I be concerned with outer foil on this capacitor, even if it exists?"

Thanks for confirming what I already thought !... ;)

I just wanted to know if somedbody had already got the same measured signal with the ClarityCaps MR...:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.