GOLDPOINT-OR D.A.C.T 24 STEP ATTENUATORS WHICH IS THE BEST??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2011, 01:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up GOLDPOINT-OR D.A.C.T 24 STEP ATTENUATORS WHICH IS THE BEST???

Hello everyone, I'm changing my ALPS BLUE VELVET VOL-POT to a STEPPED ATTENUATOR: Out of the two The GOLDPOINT MINI-V OR
THE D.A.C.T CT-2 24 Step Attenuators which is the best volume control???.

The ALPS VOL-POT- is housed in a 20yr old solid state PRE-AMP!!!+ Is,
20yrs old as well .

I'm limiting Myself to these 2 units mainly Because of cost's of buying in From the, U.S.A. Unless anyone has got a recommendation for a better Attenuator,
At around the 100.00 to 150.00 Price mark???

Many thanks, Nick.
Old 3rd September 2011, 04:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Nick, I have been using the Goldpoint Mini V for about 3 years now in my DIY pre amp and I have only good things to say about it. The only neg is that it is quite expensive at 150 USD.

I looked at a lot of ready made attenuators and picked the GP and have not looked back. One caveat though, the GP is fairly large and square and careful planning is needed to make sure it will fit. Ask me how I know that, LOL!

Other than that I can recommend it highly.
Old 3rd September 2011, 04:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Knight
The Khozmo is much better than the DACT, in my experience. 48 steps.
High Quality Audio & Industrial Attenuators

Old 3rd September 2011, 06:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

why do you think the KHOZMO is better than the d.a.c.t???
Is it the volume steps OR the sound signature OR Both???
Old 4th September 2011, 06:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Knight
both.

Old 4th September 2011, 07:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' knight View Post
both.
thanks i looked at the KHOZMO link + they have premuim versions of the units as well?,
when you refer to the KHOZMO unit being the best step, which products which are you refering to???, IE: the stardard units cost $179.00 the premuim one's go up to $379.00???
Old 4th September 2011, 04:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have been using the GOLDPOINT mini-V on my upgraded preamp for a year : the improvement they made compared to the original NOBLE black potentiometer is incredible.
In addition, the GOLDPOINT are small (easy to locate in a cabinet) and are available in the 25kohms impedance if you need (I needed this impedance) whereas the DACT are availble in 20k but not in 25k.

So I recommend the GOLDPOINT : they are truly excellent and a lot of friends around confirm their astonishing quality (this is not a criticism over the DACT, just a recommendation for the GOLDPOINT).

Regarding the KHOZMO, I had read 1 or 2 years ago , that they had delivery problems (some persons complained they had never received their order) and the quality was not always emphasized by the buyers: but I cannot find the post where these pbs had been related, and maybe they are over. Undoubtly the most beautiful part to see.
Old 5th September 2011, 09:07 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks you've made my mind-up on getting the goldpoint mini-v
Old 5th September 2011, 02:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'll just put in another good word for the Goldpoint. I was using the gigawork attenuator in my B1 and replaced it with the Goldpoint. Big difference in price, but big difference in sound and construction quality! Very happy.

Hide this!Advertise here!