Illinois Capacitor or Cornell_Dubilier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are pictures of the capacitors. The yellow is the Illinois Capacitor and the white is the Cornell Dubilier.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    487.9 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    501.1 KB · Views: 652
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Cornell Dubilier is a metallized polypropylene type, 940c series: http://www.cde.com/catalogs/940C.pdf
The IC is the same type: Film Products
I'd guess there's no big difference between the two, buy I like the detailed datasheet of the mpw cap, and I also use these as coupling caps in my restored mcintosh tube amps.
Maybe you can check for microphony with an oscilloscope, or check if the cornell cap has copper leads too or if it is magnetic to help you make a decision.
Also determine which lead connects to the outer foil, from my experience you can't tell by the print.
I'd go with the mpw because I have used them before, but that's my subjective opinion.

The Cornell Dubilier advertises itself as a low-inductance, high pulse current, high dV/dT type-- USUALLY this implies extended foil construction, but these don't say that. Ext'd foil does have a much lower inductance and therefore higher resonant frequency than a conventional type. The Illinois Capacitor says it's a general purpose film, usually implying NOT ext'd foil. The IC also says it's metallized film; the CD doesn't explicitly say- but again, high pulse current types are USUALLY film-and-foil. The CD claims dV/dT about 20-50x greater than the Illinois cap. The CD cap says it uses polypropylene film, the IC doesn't say- I'd guess it likely uses polyester.

They're both fine for interstage coupling in linear audio applications. I like the CD a little better, personally -just based on specs.

Ah! -Thanks, there, Rodeodave- there's even less difference between them than I thought.

I'm sure they'll both sound like heaven on earth... Silky highs, wooly lows, presence, air, pace, all that kinda good stuff. Either one's fine, I'm sure. Long as they're not ceramic(!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.