Where to find quality capasitors? All I see is OUT OF STOCK - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2011, 12:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Where to find quality capasitors? All I see is OUT OF STOCK

F&T or Sprague Atom Electrolytic Caps I can’t seem to find a supplier who caries a full line. I mean really? Most (guitar amp) schematics show using 22uF@450vdc & 33uF@450vdc. But no one has any of these caps in F&T or Sprague. The only brand I’ve been able to find this rating in is EPCOS & Chinese stuff I don’t want in my amp.

Q, 1. Source with either of these is stock?

Q, 2. Any one have experience with EPCOS? I saw some test they appear to be ok but leakage was not part of the test, only values.

Last edited by Variac; 18th August 2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 18th August 2011, 01:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

EPCOS has NOTHING to do with Chinese crap (capacitors).
They do only high(est) quality components (not only capacitors).
It`s a spin off from formerly Siemens Matsushita Components (German-Japanese joint venture). Today it`s part of TDK-EPC Corporation (Japan).

Last edited by Variac; 18th August 2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 18th August 2011, 01:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't think Sprague Atom comes in 22 or 33 uF or any of the standard E12 values. They do come in 20, 25 and 30, and those are but a quick google search away.
Old 18th August 2011, 01:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Cocolion I knew EPCOS was not Chinese. I wondering if any one has used them in Guitar tube amps. I'm curios about there tonal qualities. and possible leakage in their Electrolytic caps.
Old 18th August 2011, 02:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

you can find some of hi-end components in my ebay store.Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 02:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmark View Post
F&T or Sprague Atom Electrolytic Caps I can’t seem to find a supplier who caries a full line. I mean really? Most (guitar amp) schematics show using 22uF@450vdc & 33uF@450vdc. But no one has any of these caps in F&T or Sprague. The only brand I’ve been able to find this rating in is EPCOS & Chinese stuff I don’t want in my amp.

Q, 1. Source with either of these is stock?

Q, 2. Any one have experience with EPCOS? I saw some test they appear to be ok but leakage was not part of the test, only values.
F&T
High Voltage Can Capacitors (F&T)

Old 18th August 2011, 04:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've been using 2000-8000 hour rated Nichicon and Panasonic caps from mouser and newark in tube voltages. Use these recapping Hammond organ and dynakit amps. They both sell garbage life 1000 hour lines also, look at the selector table on newark or download the datasheet from mouser. Nichicons are found in motor drives (TB Woods) that survive years in the burner compartment of industrial ovens. These are radial lead caps. Nichicon are all Japanese, Panasonic are Japanese and occasionally USA. I've got an EPCOS film motor cap on one organ (3.3 uf 330 VAC), works fine but was made in C****. I've bought some united chemicon radial tube voltage caps, made in c**** but initial quality has been fine. they have the >2000 hour life ratings.
FP tall can tube voltage caps come from tubesandmore.com and triodeelectronics.com. Initial quality on the 5 I have bought has been fine, but they are not rated for life. They are made in USA on equipment purchased from Mallory.

Last edited by indianajo; 18th August 2011 at 04:03 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!