Man do I need help--Suitcase Stereo batteries.UGH!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2011, 06:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Man do I need help--Suitcase Stereo batteries.UGH!!!

Hi Everyone.

So glad to found this site. Perfect for my new venture...SUITCASE STEREOS.

So, of course we have all seen the BOOM Cases...and I wanted to build a few ...see how it went. Everything is fairly straight forward..EXCEPT.....THE BATTERY.

Boom Case says their suitcases weight less than 20lbs...my 12v 40AH wheelchair batter weighs 27! not to mention two amps, 6 speakers etc. This thing is going to weight 75lbs..

I am begging you guys...does anyone know his secret? All I can come up with is an IPAD battery? Man...so glad I am here.

Best to all,

JC
Old 12th August 2011, 11:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

NiMH or Li-Ion (iPad, cell phone etc.) batteries will certainly do the trick but it will not be cheap. Look at the price difference between a Prius and a Corolla to see what I mean.

How much power do you want your amplifier to deliver? This will help to determine what the capacity of your battery needs to be.

An ideal class B amp is about 75% effective. That means that a 30W amp needs a 40W power supply. For a 12V battery this means 3,3A. That means your 40Ah battery will last about 12 hours, but you can only do that if the battery is designed for deep discharge cycling. A car battery can not handle this, but your wheelchair battery should be OK.

A class D amp is more effective at 90% or so, but not really for the aspiring DIYer (I suspect that I am about to be corrected on this). An off-the-shelf class D car amplifier will help extend battery life, but I have no idea on what is available. A quick look on Google only turns up 400W (and up) class D car amps and this will drain your battery in no time flat.

Last edited by ingenieus; 12th August 2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 13th August 2011, 03:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi ingenius,

Thanks for the reply. Well...I have 2 X 100 amps I am using. SO...it will have to be those. I need a light solution for a low weight 12v 40AH battery. I was thinking IPAD.

Thanks!
Old 13th August 2011, 03:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

OK, so ipad batteries are 3.7V 5400mAh and cost around $65 each. You would need around 30 of them for 54Ah @ 11.1V. That comes to, oh....... $1,950.

Sure that's still a good idea?
Old 13th August 2011, 05:58 AM   #5
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

you want sealed lead acid batteries aka SLA
they come in a multitude of sizes
1 of these should do the trick Universal Battery UB12220 Sealed Lead Acid

of course you need to read about charging and discharging them so they can last\.

Last edited by infinia; 13th August 2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 13th August 2011, 06:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks INF. Why is everyone suggesting deep cycle? This will be a re-chargeable stereo....I would love to use a SLA....lighter, and certainly cheaper. THANK!!!!!!
Old 13th August 2011, 06:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Have you listened to this Boom Case? Maybe that's his secret... it's 20lbs of wretched audio.
200W... 6 drivers.... this doesn't really seem like a portable system.
Old 13th August 2011, 06:12 AM   #8
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

deep cycle is constructed for long deep discharges as opposed to a starting battery for high amps for a short time. AH amp hours is the key, note for long life you dont want to exceed about 1/2 of its rated capacity..

Last edited by infinia; 13th August 2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old 13th August 2011, 06:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Everyone is suggesting deep-cycle because that is the proper type battery for this application. Ordinary car batteries like a constant voltage ('float charge") and minimal cycling. Their life is shortened when called upon to supply long-period drain. Deep-cycle are made to drain between charges. Have you looked at something like a trolling motor battery for small john boats?
Old 13th August 2011, 06:41 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

This is great guys. Keep it comin. Sofa, I have looked at every deep cycle battery I can think of. Wheel Chair, Tractor, Moto, Marine etc. The 40-50 AH models not only are very expensive...but CRAZY HEAVY. Guys, please check out this link. This is a REAL head scratcher to me. Under 20lbs...with 8 hours of playing? I can't figure it out.

About | The BoomCase? by Mr. Simo

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

J

Hide this!Advertise here!