The best quality parts and suppliers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2012, 08:37 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petavgeris View Post
No!
Absolutely not!
Z-Foil resistors do not sound good! They are lifeless, dull bass, without dynamics and layering into time and space.
Use carbon film instead! Takmans cannot be surpassed! Listen to them!
Of course each one of us has his experience and opinion, but I would nevertheless avoid to make absolute statements like that. The reference I made about Vishay Dale is based on an excellent/profound objective noise testing in Linear Audio last year (recommended reading). Then, the recommendation for MPC resistor is based on concencus seen here and elsewhere by many folks, again based on objective measurements and/or commen sense knowledge.

Stating bad/good is pretty religous and not objective as that experience has to be expressed as a function of the particular application and circuit topology. It's not one type of resistors which will make your sound, it's the interaction of all components and circuit topology itself which defines the performance of the amplifire. Hence, when advicing other people, better relativate that experience.

And for your information: the Vishay Dale have non-ferrous leads and caps like the Takman resistors, but have much better pricing because they are produced in much larger quantities (being the industry's reference....). So far I have not seen any objective proof (test results) that the Takman are magically unbeatable. If you like them I could very well agree, but within a given context.
Old 20th February 2012, 09:32 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomo67890 View Post
any proof to back up such a biased statement ?
Go to eBay and purchase some Takman 1/4 or 1/2 Watt carbon film resistors, replace your Z-Foil and...listen! You should be really deaf not to be able to distinguish the difference!
Old 20th February 2012, 09:51 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpliFire View Post
here
One quid fifty for Al Bradley's double watters and 1 pound for the singles ? Damn, i figured i owned a heap of old junk, but i/I am rich.

Hide this!Advertise here!