Digital Scope Recomendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for recomendations for a digital oscilloscope in the $1500 - $2000 range. Must be dual channel, 60MHz min. It does not have to be portable per se but I need the ability to capture the waveform to PC - but do not want a PC-based scope. Two models that fit the bill are the Fluke 124/003s and the Tektronix TDS2012.
Any Suggestions?

I have a TDA 210 (now the TDA1000), with the FFT and communications module. Other than being a cheap plastic piece of crap which denogrates the Tek name, I like it a lot. (look inside a good old tek scope like the 453A and feel it's knobs and such, then look inside a modern one and get a feel for it.)

It's no replacement for a good analog scope though. Don't forget that digital scopes hve like 8 bits of vertical resolution. They are noisy at small signals, and just don't have the feel of an analog scope. But they do a whole lot more than an analog scope can.

I recommend one of each...

I bought the TDA210 which is 60 MHz and then bought the $400 FFT and communications module which brought it up to the price of the 100 MHz TDA220 scope, but the FFT and communications ports have been way more useful than the extra 40 MHz would have been.

Sheldon

stokessd said:
It's no replacement for a good analog scope though. Don't forget that digital scopes hve like 8 bits of vertical resolution. They are noisy at small signals, and just don't have the feel of an analog scope. But they do a whole lot more than an analog scope can.

I recommend one of each...

I agree completely. The ergonomics in my TDS3012 still leave something to be desired, but it's great to be able to average readings, take envelope readings, use the FFT to pinpoint harmonics and power supply problems. You can precisely describe trigger events, etc., etc. It has a printer which plugs in the back, RS232 or just hook it up to the network and control it remotely.

OTOH, I still have a very slow, very quiet D13. I should say very, very quiet.

Hello -

Don't forget about e-Bay. You can get Tektronix TDS-3000 series there for less than half the new price. The least expensive of these is far more powerful than the TDS-200 series. You can probably get a TDS-3012 for less than $1500 if you're patient. The current models are a "B" series that added built-in ethernet and stuff, but that just made the prices of used "A" series 'scopes that much lower. I've bought three there and have never had a bad experience.

Good luck,
Charles Hansen

Thanks All

Thanks for all of the responses. I have bumped the Fluke up to the 192C model to match price with the TDS2012 and I am leaning towards the Fluke now - I like all of the multimeter functions and, although I wasn't considering using it as a portable scope, I now can see using it more as a multimeter with the added bonus of scope functions.

I bought a Tek TDS2012B (100 MHz 1GS/s 2-channel) last Oct 2010 for audio use although it is now obsolete and replaced by the C series. This is my first scope. Did not look for a used Tek analog scope since there is none to find in the Philippines. Hopefully it will get me started in pre and power amp design (including class D). I prefer a high bandwidth scope to catch any oscillations above the audible frequency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.