"Best" wiring for DC supply? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2011, 11:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default "Best" wiring for DC supply?

OK, this is for wire believers only. What do people like for wiring a DC supply and why-I am completely open to suggestions.
Solid Core?
Stranded?
Gauge?
Teflon dialectric?
Polyethylene?
Copper?
Silver?
Silver plated Copper?
This case is 15 VDC and about 200 mA, open for discussion...
Old 15th July 2011, 03:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I do not think it matters much at that voltage and current. If the cable is of any length attach an electrolytic and a .1 at the receiving end. E
Old 15th July 2011, 04:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I found some tin plated copper stranded teflon insulated 18 ga at electronicsurplus.com, I'm mostly using that these days. Silver plate seems required by ROHS, which the distributors sell exclusively, I'm not buying any more of that unless I can't find something cheaper. My last roll of 22 ga stranded teflon ROHS alpha wire was $.60 a foot, and was stolen at the shipping dock (substituted by something cheap that weighed 2 pounds) and had to be replaced by the distributor. At currents above 4 A I use 16 to 10 ga surplus stranded PVC insulated THHN (copper no plate) building wire. Works great in crimp connectors, hard to solder.

Last edited by indianajo; 15th July 2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 15th July 2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

I usually use stranded twisted pair for most everything ......
Old 16th July 2011, 12:43 AM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I like Kimber TCSS or unplated stranded ofc copper in teflon or irradiated pvc...
Old 16th July 2011, 01:17 AM   #6
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

If it mattered at all, it might depend on what you're powering with the supply in question. But the best wiring might be none at all, with the supply right at the point of load. However, if you'e a "true believer", then you already know that the most-expensive solution must be the best solution.
Old 16th July 2011, 03:49 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
If it mattered at all, it might depend on what you're powering with the supply in question. But the best wiring might be none at all, with the supply right at the point of load. However, if you'e a "true believer", then you already know that the most-expensive solution must be the best solution.
Respectfully: your response makes an assumption. I do believe that parts selectiony matters. I find the prevalent view at these forums which claims that circuit design is all that matters rather closed minded. Certainly circuit design is of primary importance, but layout details, parts selection, mechanical design/vibration control, all will impact final sound quality.
I make no assumptions about the "most-expensive" solution being the best; believing that wiring choice can affect sound does not pre-suppose that the most expensive wire will sound best. Certainly keeping the wiring as short as possible, as well as appropriately routed is good advice, but the topic is wire SELECTION for DC supply wiring.
In this case, the supply is powering a class A, discrete, balanced line level circuit.
Old 16th July 2011, 04:15 AM   #8
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
Respectfully: your response makes an assumption. I do believe that parts selectiony matters. I find the prevalent view at these forums which claims that circuit design is all that matters rather closed minded. Certainly circuit design is of primary importance, but layout details, parts selection, mechanical design/vibration control, all will impact final sound quality.
I make no assumptions about the "most-expensive" solution being the best; believing that wiring choice can affect sound does not pre-suppose that the most expensive wire will sound best. Certainly keeping the wiring as short as possible, as well as appropriately routed is good advice, but the topic is wire SELECTION for DC supply wiring.
In this case, the supply is powering a class A, discrete, balanced line level circuit.
Of course you are correct. And I have to apologize. I was thrown off when I read "for wire believers only".

The most important properties that I can think of at the moment are low inductance and smallest enclosed loop area (for resistance to EMI). A shielded twisted pair comes to mind. Using all Teflon insulation should be best.

Hide this!Advertise here!