Old Resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some old resistors I purchased at a "garage sale" at a radio station. They seemed old when I got them, and that was probably 15+ years ago. I would like to learn about them, and I would LOVE to find something to do with them other than throw them away - I'm absolutely not thinking I'm going to cash in, I just hope to find that they can be useful to someone, somewhere.

here is a photo of the resistors:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

[FONT=arial,helvetica]The large resistors are about 0.25" in diameter and the resistor body is about 1.5" or 2" long. They are Sprague, 250 Ohms, 10W[/FONT]. Most of the larger ones have never been used. The smaller ones are not labeled, and none of them have the color bands I learned about in high school. They all appear to be ceramic.

Can anyone tell me anything about them? Are they still usable?

@Frank: Sorry, at the University of Michigan. Things are looking up for the football team I understand... at least, defined negatively, we are moving upward as compared to Ohio State.

@VivaVee: I see what you did there (250Ohm/31=8.06, 10W*31=310), but what could such a thing be used for?

Yeah they do look like Military spec because they are encased in that resin (or whatever it is), and they have the values printed on the surface, instead of using color codes.

So looks like a great find to me. Sprague is a good brand so you won't have issues.

I couldn't guess what type they are, but they are probably of the metal film/oxide variety. You don't find all that many carbon film/composition with mil-spec badging.

They might be wirewound...

Have fun. =D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.