Are the free samples really free?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For a while now, I've been really curious to find out if the big semiconductor manufacturers know that we are all asking for free samples to make our gear.

That's not to say that we are not experimenting with the samples, which is supposed to be the intention. There are plenty of dis-integrated circuits strewn about to prove that. (Yes...pun intended)

I'm also guessing that some of you work at the big fabs and was wondering what your *personal* opinions are on this and if there is a more strict company line about the situation.

:)ensen.

Well, here is my contribution:

From DHL, TNT and UPS I've received a total of about 100 units of samples coming from TI/Burr Brown, Microchip, ON Semi, Analog Devices and Motorola.

By mail, from Maxim/Dallas and also Microchip.

Wednesday, I've got a surprise in my P.O. Box: one box, about the size of a double CD box full of new products from Maxim/Dallas.

Want to know how much I've been paying for this?

0€ (zero euros)

No VAT, neither Taxes!

There is only one company that don't send me the asked samples, Philips :( :(

Hope I helped with something...

BTW, I've here some TO3 OPA's...
High power...
Maybe I'll put in chip amps something with those

Regards

Pedro Martins

till said:
national doesn´t send me any samples - i signed up with university adress and email. everyone else does.
It seems they don't want to send to me either. Just like you, I'm a university student and signed up with that email address. Is anyone able to get samples that they *don't* get via work?

Peter Daniel said:
LM3875 is no longer free if you ask for samples using personal e-mail (like yahoo, aol, rogers or sympatico). You have to pay shipping of about $12 for 5 pcs.
Are you complaining? Spoiled!! :) I wouldn't mind spending $12 on shipping, that's what two chips would cost me, without shipping...

HBarske, a University account of a Technikal University, one with partnertship programms to US, should be serios, no? And i used even Universitys real world adress, not only email account. National behaves quite opposite like TI, who invited me to seminars and gave me samples and docs, even without asking for...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.