100,000uF 63V 35mm diameter caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
10,000uF 63V 35mm diameter caps

Hey, I'm fixing a free Sony A-20 amp. It probably is terrible, but it was free, so I'm not complaining.

At any rate, the two main capacitors in the power supply appear to have leaked due to age, so I'm trying to source replacements that are not ridiculously expensive or the wrong shape. I've looked on google for a bit, and haven't found anything that was in stock.

The capacitors I pulled from the system are Nichicons, rated at 10,000uF @ 63V and 85 degrees C. They've got a 4-pin mounting system on the bottom, and are 35mm by 70mm. The replacement caps have to be at most 35mm by 70mm, or otherwise I'd have to do a bit of re-wiring.

So, whereabouts might I source them from?

[edit] I'm in the US-Kansas/Missouri. [/edit]

Last edited:
I usually use Mouser.com for large power supply caps, but Digikey is good also. If you choose Mouser, search for Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Snap In. That will bring you to a search screen where you can enter all the appropriate factors. I'd enter a range of capacitance starting with 10,000 uf (I believe it will be .01 Farad on their chart) and up. You use quite a bit more if you like, and a range of voltages starting with 63. Again, you can go up in voltage if you like. Finally, I'd select 35mm for diameter. This will bring up a number of caps to choose from. I tend to use Panasonic THA for power supplies. You can probably use a two lead cap--I think the other three on the originals were for support. You should also check the lead spacing on your board, and the height if that's a limiting factor. (I live in Topeka, by the way, we may be close.)

Allan

Allan

for the "free sony amp" get the 8200uF 100V ones from Apex - Radial Capacitors
They are 4 pin 22.5mm standard lead spacing . they are actually 37.5mm diameter - but cheap.
If that wont fit, these at mouser are the only 22.5mm LS @ 35 mm diameter ones in stock (8200-80v) - ECE-T1KP822EA Panasonic Electronic Components Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Snap In

You could retrofit any 10mm LS/ 35mm snap-in cap by drilling 2 holes in the pcb if the foil allowed. 10mm is more common and cheaper.

OS

use wallboard adhesive or hot melt or epoxy to glue the caps to the pcb to replace the 2 mounting pins. You can also put a strap around the pcb and the caps. These things are heavy, and would move around just supported by the leads.
To save money I'm putting 8x4700 caps instead of 4x10000 caps in my PV 1.3k amp. I made a little subboard out of polycarbonate plastic, then made angle brackets to screw the sub boards to the cap PCB. Caps didn't fail yet, but after 17 years it might be time in 2 or 3 more years and I don't want to open it again.

Last edited:
Well hey, email notifications, way to not work. >.>

Thanks for all the answers, guys! I didn't know that you could increase the capacity of capacitors without messing with power supplies, but I'm new to this. The business terminals on my caps are 22.5 mm apart, so I'll find myself something along those dimensions, and make sure it's well secured to the board.

Also, this is a Yamaha amp, not a Sony one. Not that that makes a difference concerning the capacitors, but if you happen to know anything about it, google is turning up pretty little info on it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.