Need opinions for a TA2020 multimedia build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First off, I'd like to say hello to the diyaudio forum - as this is my first post.

Building a desktop 2.1 system basically because store bought computer speakers suck. Plus mine are pretty old and crappy and do not compliment my x-fi audio card very well.

I'm looking to build a system that just reproduces my PC's output as well as possible without lacking the frequency range that usually plague computer speakers. I play a lot of movies, games and music. Also trying to do this for the least amount of money possible. I already have an overabundance of passive components as I'm a computer engineer by trade plus there's my hobbies...

So far:
Power supply - Looking to use a 30V 350W switching supply that I already have. It is meant for powering small servo motor drivers in bench-top cnc engraving machines (which also require a very clean supply for cutting accuracy). I know the 350W is overkill for this board, but the supply contains current limiting and short circuit protection; as such, will only output what the load can handle (Also adding an in-line fuse just in-case).

Amp - 2 TA2020 boards from ebay (the functional boards are cheaper than having a pcb made and I hate using breadboards for a finished project); one board will be for the left+right speakers, the other will have both channels combined to drive a woofer/subwoofer.

Volume control - Most likely just a digital pot with a r-encoder as I have the parts on hand.

Active crossover - Dual, home built, 3-way Linkwitz-Riley design, op-amp crossover. High and mid will be sent to the L&R amp, low sent to the sub amp. The L&R speaker boxes will contain a passive crossover to divide between my midranges and tweeters.

Speakers - Already have a pair of pioneers from an old stereo to use. Have not picked out a bass speaker yet. All electronics will be housed inside the woofer box as is common with PC speakers. I plan on attenuating all speakers to as close to equal decibel level as I can get with a meter from radioshack. Balance and equalization will be done from the PC.

A few questions:

After crawling the web for hours looking for decent audio op-amps, I still don't know what to go for. Most posts are from several years back and I'm sure new chips have come out since then. Others recommend very pricey chips. I'd rather not pay more than $2 per op-amp as I need either 18 single op-amps or 10 duals. Which is the best chip for my application in that price range? Or is there a better fully assembled unit for less than I would spend on chips?

What ~40W woofer (or subwoofer if there's a good one at 40W) would go well with a TA2020 for $30-$50 ?

Any criticism, advice or tips about the build is welcome.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.