XLR Connectors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2011, 01:35 AM   #1
drjb is offline drjb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default XLR Connectors

Greetings! I need to reterminate my single ended, RCA interconnects to balanced, with male and female XLR connectors. I'm asking for recommendations on what the best available XLR connectors are and where to get them.

Also, an explanation of how best to convert these cables would help.

Any and all information appreciated.

thanks,

John
Old 10th June 2011, 02:09 AM   #2
alexcp is offline alexcp  United States
diyAudio Member

You'd need balanced cables as well. Otherwise, there would be no benefit from the XLR connectors.
Old 10th June 2011, 02:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

There are three wires, in each of my single ended interconnects.
Old 10th June 2011, 02:45 AM   #4
trexky is offline trexky  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm a big fan of Neutrik XLR connectors and Canare Star-Quad microphone cable. I usually pick them up at Audio Operations in Mississauga: Audio Operations. They have reasonable prices and good stock.

BTW - I also had great success with the Canare 75 Ohm video cable and RCA connectors for single-ended audio interconnects. Reasonably priced, great quality and awesome sound IMHO. I do consider myself an audiophile, but I do not subscribe to cable Voodoo.

trexky
Old 10th June 2011, 10:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What is it you are trying to connect? I am working on a similar project. My post here: BTL to Balanced Conversion

I'm trying to figure out what components (capacitors, resistors or transformer(s)) to use because I am concerned impedance is mismatched between components and CD43 "may require a load on the speaker leads to work properly." (from Zapco technical assistance)
Old 10th June 2011, 10:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'm trying to connect my (new to me) Mac C2200 preamp and Classe CA 400 amp. The problem is my rca interconnects, their terminations are too large, in diameter, to fit the Mac's rca outs. Also, the distance between pre and amp is 24' and so maybe the setup would benefit from balanced interconnects. In any case, I've decided to use the gold pin, Neutrik xlr connectors, which are relatively inexpensive (less than $25 for the project).

Unfortunately, regarding guidance on your possible impedance mismatch, for that, you'll surely need someone more knowledgable than me.
Old 10th June 2011, 11:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Neutrik sounds good. Have fun. I'll bet your equipment will sound great.
Old 10th June 2011, 11:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank you! I'll try and I hope so!
Old 11th June 2011, 12:42 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you haven't got the Neutrik's yet (or even if you have), please try Vampire XLR's. Neutrik is the standard, and everyone uses it and recommends it, but I don't know why. I've used both and examined them with a magnifier, and I have found that Vampire is made better and I think it sounds better. They don't cost much more than Neutrik.

If you want, you can try connecting your gear with only two wires and see if that will suffice without producing hum. The ground wire in a balanced connection is not absolutely necessary, but it greatly reduces the possibility of hum. Are you aware that, even though your present cable has three wires, it may not have a good geometry for a balanced run? I think the very best cable geometry for balanced, grounded use is not available commercially; you must make it yourself, and it's easy and inexpensive to do. There are good options available commercially, but they're simply not the best.

Peace,
Tom E
Old 11th June 2011, 01:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I am planning on making my own wires using shielded twisted pair IEEE1394. Cut up some Firewire and solder whatever on the ends. I suppose it will work just using the positive legs of the outputs. Where's the fun in that? I'm enjoying learning enough to be able ask stupid questions.
Sorry OP for thread hijack.

Hide this!Advertise here!