XLR Connectors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings! I need to reterminate my single ended, RCA interconnects to balanced, with male and female XLR connectors. I'm asking for recommendations on what the best available XLR connectors are and where to get them.

Also, an explanation of how best to convert these cables would help.

Any and all information appreciated.

thanks,

John

I'm a big fan of Neutrik XLR connectors and Canare Star-Quad microphone cable. I usually pick them up at Audio Operations in Mississauga: Audio Operations. They have reasonable prices and good stock.

BTW - I also had great success with the Canare 75 Ohm video cable and RCA connectors for single-ended audio interconnects. Reasonably priced, great quality and awesome sound IMHO. I do consider myself an audiophile, but I do not subscribe to cable Voodoo.

trexky

What is it you are trying to connect? I am working on a similar project. My post here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/188699-btl-balanced-conversion.html

I'm trying to figure out what components (capacitors, resistors or transformer(s)) to use because I am concerned impedance is mismatched between components and CD43 "may require a load on the speaker leads to work properly." (from Zapco technical assistance)

Hi, I'm trying to connect my (new to me) Mac C2200 preamp and Classe CA 400 amp. The problem is my rca interconnects, their terminations are too large, in diameter, to fit the Mac's rca outs. Also, the distance between pre and amp is 24' and so maybe the setup would benefit from balanced interconnects. In any case, I've decided to use the gold pin, Neutrik xlr connectors, which are relatively inexpensive (less than $25 for the project).

Unfortunately, regarding guidance on your possible impedance mismatch, for that, you'll surely need someone more knowledgable than me.

If you haven't got the Neutrik's yet (or even if you have), please try Vampire XLR's. Neutrik is the standard, and everyone uses it and recommends it, but I don't know why. I've used both and examined them with a magnifier, and I have found that Vampire is made better and I think it sounds better. They don't cost much more than Neutrik.

If you want, you can try connecting your gear with only two wires and see if that will suffice without producing hum. The ground wire in a balanced connection is not absolutely necessary, but it greatly reduces the possibility of hum. Are you aware that, even though your present cable has three wires, it may not have a good geometry for a balanced run? I think the very best cable geometry for balanced, grounded use is not available commercially; you must make it yourself, and it's easy and inexpensive to do. There are good options available commercially, but they're simply not the best.

Peace,
Tom E

I am planning on making my own wires using shielded twisted pair IEEE1394. Cut up some Firewire and solder whatever on the ends. I suppose it will work just using the positive legs of the outputs. Where's the fun in that? I'm enjoying learning enough to be able ask stupid questions.
Sorry OP for thread hijack.

Neutrik is the standard, and everyone uses it and recommends it, but I don't know why.

Because thy are easy to solder, designed to set up easily. The connectors are silver plated so they do not suffer from increase resistance due to oxydation - rather the opposite with silver oxide forming.
As to sound - I have never heard sound from a connector. Must be something in the air you are breathing.
but they're simply not the best.
in what sense?
I use Canare quad cable L4E 6S (don't know if still available?)
I even use it for single ended connections

you must make it yourself,
pretty categorical...but what? Nonsense?

My preference is CMC or Cardas for RCA connector and Neutrik for XLR connector with 4%Ag WBT solder paste. Emphasis on the purity of copper material with plating for oxidation. Personally, I cannot listen to any significant difference in sound quality with different branding.
Impendence matching is not a major concern in home audio system, but mainly in large infrastructure telecommunication project.
A truly balanced home audio system started from DAC output to power amplifier. (i.e. balanced design + differential amplifier). For any RCA-to-XLR conversion at the mid of system, you may get benefit to some extent. Personally, I prefer truly balanced for whole system. Unbalanced and balanced audio system behaves two different quality of sound which is subject to individual preference. There is no absolute answer which is right or wrong.

Neutrik is the standard, and everyone uses it and recommends it, but I don't know why.

Because they're cheap. They are no any easier to install but not more difficult either. The metal housing is more brittle though I've never seen one fail completely.

Personally I use Switchcraft. I can usually get them off of old cables at work. They're more sturdy.

Don't use SPC brand xlr, particularly SPC21418 male. The insert melts and the pins wiggles around when you try to solder them. The shell tends to pull the wires off when you pull them out. Trying to use a 25 w iron. Worst connector I have ever tried to solder.

Here's a hint I use. When soldering to a connector, have it plugged into the mating connector which is clamped in a Panavise. If there are any melt issues the mating connector will heatsink it and keep it in alignment.

Here's a hint I use. When soldering to a connector, have it plugged into the mating connector which is clamped in a Panavise. If there are any melt issues the mating connector will heatsink it and keep it in alignment.

Better have a mighty powerful iron, then. By sinking the heat away from the soldering point to the mating connector, the heat will have to be applied longer to get it hot enough for the solder to melt. Applying the heat longer is NOT a good thing.

Better have a mighty powerful iron, then. By sinking the heat away from the soldering point to the mating connector, the heat will have to be applied longer to get it hot enough for the solder to melt. Applying the heat longer is NOT a good thing.

Worked OK with the Weller magnastat and works just fine with a Metcal. The 'heatsink' action isn't that pronounced. It just keeps the other end of the pin cooler and reduces any melting possibilities.

Because thy are easy to solder, designed to set up easily. The connectors are silver plated so they do not suffer from increase resistance due to oxydation - rather the opposite with silver oxide forming.
As to sound - I have never heard sound from a connector. Must be something in the air you are breathing.

in what sense?
I use Canare quad cable L4E 6S (don't know if still available?)
I even use it for single ended connections

pretty categorical...but what? Nonsense?

The tarnish that builds up on silver is not silver oxide but silver sulphate which is an insulator.
Use the silver connectors for leads which are regularly plugged and unplugged as they are self cleaning.
For more permanent connections use the gold-pinned Neutriks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.