cap sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2011, 05:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default cap sub

what is a suitable audio grade sub for a mica cap? the circuit is a low level amp in a pre amp. polypropylene? polystyrene? teflon?
Old 6th June 2011, 05:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What does it do, what size, and what voltage? A mica cap might just be filtering out rf noise and not worth replacing with something better. Or it might not be in the audio path to begin with.
Old 6th June 2011, 06:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

they are in a phono pre amp board in a dynaco pat 5 bifet preamp i am thinking of rebuilding. 2700pf 500v 2% i want to replace them because they are 30 yrs old and from what i've read there are better caps for audio out there these days.
Old 6th June 2011, 06:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

27000 pf is .027 ufd and is probally a frequency setting part as opposed to a bypass cap.
Is this a phono pre amp? If so the value is quite important. Silver mica caps are real good quality parts. I would be tempted to use the same kind. Really we need more information, like schematic, or at pictures of the inside. Please provide the brand and model.
Old 6th June 2011, 06:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

they are in a phono pre amp board in a dynaco pat 5 bifet preamp i am thinking of rebuilding. 2700pf 500v 2% i want to replace them because they are 30 yrs old and from what i've read there are better caps for audio out there these days.
Old 6th June 2011, 06:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Silver-micas are generally excellent audio caps and lose nothing with age. They're also usually close tolerance. I'd stick with it. If I just couldn't help myself I'd only replace it with polystyrene, polypropylene or Teflon, in that order. I don't have the blind respect for Teflon that some do ;-)

In more detail, silver-mica caps have somewhat more dielectric absorption than you'd expect, given their very low dissipation factor, but it doesn't translate into any specific audio complaint.

Hide this!Advertise here!