A stereo blend pot for an analog mixer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

First post here and I will say right away that I'm an electrics n00b pretty much and that's actually the reason I'm posting. :)

I have a Allen & Heath Xone:92 Rotary mixer and I would like to add a stereo blend pot to it. Currently it has this Cue/Add Mix pot for the headphone output which blends the master out audio with the cued signal but never lowers the cued signal level. I would like to replace this pot with a pot that lowers the other signal as the other one is increased. Pretty much exactly like a traditional crossfader does. I think for example a Rane MP44 has this kind of a pot in it.

I found the Xone:92 service manual on A&H's site:
Service manual first pages. By replacing the end of the URL with the URLs on the 4th page you can find the individual manual parts. If that's any help.

I also found just the block diagram. I took a screenshot of it and made some markings showing what I want to do. Screenshot is here. Now I don't know why the ADD MIX signal is summed to mono before adding it to the CUE right now, but I would like to get as a stereo signal to my headphones and have the ability to blend between the two signals completely with one pot. If the ADD MIX pot cannot be easily replaced with the kind of a pot I want, I can install it elsewhere too but ideally I would like to use the existing place for it so that I don't have to drill any holes to my mixer. :shy:

I've looked all over the internet and I haven't found what type of a pot I would need and how would I wire it. Would a double gang pot work? Those have 6 connectors. I'd need 4 for inputs and two for output, so I wouldn't have any left for ground. Would that be a problem? Also would I need something else? Resistors? Most volume control diagrams I've seen have resistors somewhere and I have to say that I don't understand why. :(

I hope that's at least somewhat clear. If not, I can clarify the best I can if someone has questions. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.