rotary SPDT switch? where?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working with t-amp clone (Helder's TA2024 amp) and trying to get a rotary 2 way RCA input switch installed, but being a newbie can't locate one. I see plenty of toggle switches...

can someone direct me to a website with the item?

thanks,

gychang

Attachments

• A11405RNZQ.JPG
    A11405RNZQ.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 166
I am not familiar with the Hedler TA2024, but I assume it is stereo. In that case you need a DPDT switch. In that case the SPDT switch you found will not work. Try searching Digi-key (or mouser or newark) for "rotary dpdt". If however, this is a mono amp, then you only need SPDT and that switch will work. I see in the datasheet that the "N" in the part number means non-shorting (break before make) which is what you want.

I am not familiar with the Hedler TA2024, but I assume it is stereo. In that case you need a DPDT switch. In that case the SPDT switch you found will not work. Try searching Digi-key (or mouser or newark) for "rotary dpdt". If however, this is a mono amp, then you only need SPDT and that switch will work. I see in the datasheet that the "N" in the part number means non-shorting (break before make) which is what you want.

thanks for helping, I appreciate your input. I should definitely have DPDT switch since it is stereo.

second from the bottom on this page correct item?: Rotary | Digi-Key

gychang

Attachments

• MFG_MRB22B-RO-2_sml.jpg
    MFG_MRB22B-RO-2_sml.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 148
most switches adjustable?

I am not familiar with the Hedler TA2024, but I assume it is stereo. In that case you need a DPDT switch. non-shorting (break before make) which is what you want.

Being new at electronics I learned 3P4T rotary switch maybe adjustable!! I wanted just 2 RCA input on my stereo amp.

My question is are all selectors (e.g. made for 4 inputs) adjustable to accomodate just 2 inputs? How can I tell, seems like some do not mention.

gychang

OK, lets stop and look at this carefully. You want to switch 2 stereo input sources into your amp, right?

A 3P4T means 3-pole, 4-throw (or position).

So, for each source, you need 2 poles because they're stereo. A 3 pole switch will work - you just don't attach anything to the other pole.

The 4 position will work as well, it's just that nothing will be connected to your amp in 2 of the positions. If you decide to add other sources in the future though this is actually a good thing. Some multi-position rotary switches have a moveable stop that lets you choose how many positions you can select. If your switch has this feature, great, use it. If not, it'll still work, but just not as nicely.
Bill

OK, lets stop and look at this carefully. You want to switch 2 stereo input sources into your amp, right?

A 3P4T means 3-pole, 4-throw (or position).

So, for each source, you need 2 poles because they're stereo. A 3 pole switch will work - you just don't attach anything to the other pole.

The 4 position will work as well, it's just that nothing will be connected to your amp in 2 of the positions. If you decide to add other sources in the future though this is actually a good thing. Some multi-position rotary switches have a moveable stop that lets you choose how many positions you can select. If your switch has this feature, great, use it. If not, it'll still work, but just not as nicely.
Bill

thanks reply. Yes I realize I don't have to solder wires on RCA input 3 or 4. But I don't want rotary switch to click into those positions... So just default position 1, and another position.

Does the 3P4T or 3P3T or whatever usually have mechanical device that prevent from going beyond the 2nd position?

thanks,

gychang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.