Metal chassis and banana plugs (and also RCA): how do isolate them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm trying to find a way to fix my banana plugs to my amplifier's case made in aluminium.

The connectors aren't isolated, so they are made to be screwed with theyr metal part touching the chassis.
It seems that the guy that designed them didn't know that chassis are sometimes made of metal...

So the problem is for my positive speaker output. But also the negative one and the rca female connectors, since the chassis will be earthed, and the analog ground is semi separated from earth (connected with a 10R, or maybe 2 diodes)

I've seen pictures of some amps here, that have platic rings between the connectors and the chassis. That would be the solution.
Are they integrated to the banana and RCA, or something I can buy alone, and add to my connectors?

Thanks
Alex

For speaker connectors I use some plactic discs with a groove in it. Can't seem to find the english term for it. Another solution would be to use one of tose transistor isolation discs (pic) and a peice of plexi or somthing at the back.

Attachments

• l11106.jpg
    l11106.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 243
A third option is using those rubber things commonly found in auto shops used to run cabels thru metal plates (again I’m lost for words). Some plexi at the back to tighten it up. I did this on my speakers (see pic), before I discovered the “plastic discs with a groove” ;)

Cheers
Sven (shamefully exploiting every opportunity to showoff ;) )

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 184
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.