Vishay Roederstein MKP1840 & MKP1837

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

Please beware i'm a DIY novice and electronic knowledge is limited but thanks to this great forum i'm learning alot.

Despite numerous searches I can't find an answer to what is probably a simple question...

Why is the Vishay Roederstein MKP1837 so much more expensive than the MKP1840 (which people here seem to go mad over and spend lot's of £'s on)?

I've studied the datasheets here:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/415372.pdf
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/391374.pdf

Everything seems the same spec/material wise - just the size and voltage difference... DF and pulse rise times etc... are all the same... the frequency graphs in the datasheets are on different scales but the results look the same though I don't understand them - maybe the answer lies there...

These are to be used to parallel with some electrolytics both on input and output and also on coupling electrolytics between internal circuits of a mixer.

Would the inexpensive 10nf MKP1840 400v (space is not an issue) provide the desired effect...is there any problem with using the high voltage rating?

Sorry to post this just asking so many questions - I usually search and find the answers but this is driving me crazy after so much searching.

Any help would be appreciated.

They are both similar polypropylene dielectric boxed caps, I find a cost difference is tolerance (i.e. 2.5% vs 20%) and the size. What values are you comparing?

I have capped a few studio mixing consoles and the main thing is your budget and time. Each strip can have a dozen caps and it adds up quickly... easily 200+ caps on a mixer!
I use MKP's for the EQ but MKT's otherwise, as polypropylene is pretty big and expensive. Especially when 63V parts are enough.

I think 0.01uF is too small, I would use 0.22uF to 1uF at least.

The Panasonic FM or FC electrolytics do well here and it's worth swapping these in. It is important to check the DC voltage on coupling caps, as many older consoles have backwards DC offsets.

Hi

Thanks for the info.

This is a DJ mixer so only 5 channels thanfully.

Is there any benefit in a larger voltage rating for the polypropylene bypass cap? (it still fits comfortably).

I was advised 0.01uf for all the electrolytics - they are between 1uf and 100uf...

Thanks again

charliecola;
I was advised 0.01uf for all the electrolytics - they are between 1uf and 100uf...

These are probably for bypassing power filter caps and decoupling and not for
signal so there is no need to use MKP1837,even ceramic types will do.There's no harm using higher voltage ratings if you have space to put in.MKP1837 is film and foil construction and round and not compressed or flatened into a rectangular plactic container like 1840 which audiophiles say have less stress on the foil and insulation equals less distrortion of signal.Of course if cost is not important then by all means do so.In essence if the cap is not used for passing audio signal then you can use a cheaper alternatives.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.