Sticker shock-- dual potentiometers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess its good and bad that when I buy parts, I often stock up. Well it must have been a long time because today I went to my usual on-line sources (mouser, jameco, digikey, marlip p jomes) lloking for a very simple thing... a dual single turn potentiometer, audio taper, 10K. I was shocked to not find a single one at mouser or jameco, and totally sticker shocked to find some at digi-key, for the bargain price of $32 (no, I didn't forget a decimal point!).

Well first of all, does anyone know of a supplier (I'd rather not use radio shack parts unless its a dire emergency). Are there some more DIY friendly suppliers I need to know about?

Second, what in hell is going on? Have the days of hobbyists making home electronic projects officially gone by the wayside? At $32 for a dual pot, I certainly see why Americans can't possibly compete.

What search terms did you use? Sometimes it is better to find the product you're after by going through each individual product category and narrowing it down from there.

Here's what I found:

Mouser - Bourns 10K Audio Taper Pot:
Lugged version (for fastening wires to)
Pin version (for PCB mounting)
Both for $2.37

Didn't seem to be able to find anything on Jameco's site-their range seemed pretty poor and the descriptions weren't that great.

As for Digikey, the search function and descriptions were pretty poor so I didn't really bother trying.

As for alternatives, give Farnell US or Newark a try (both under the Farnell group of companies). If they are the same as Farnell over here, then you can expect low prices, good delivery costs and times along with a good selection of components.

Well thanks everyone.

@Jack&08: Trouble is, I needed a DUAL pot. Ordinary rotary would do fine. But I can't find a single one on mouser.

@digits: Yeah why do you think I'm panicking! (LOL). I agree... $32? It ought to be space shuttle re-entry burn certified for that. Absurd!

@Sofaspud! Eureka! Thanks! Forgot about All Electronics! Thank God for close out places or we'd all be sunk! (LOL) And its a PC mount to boot! Well I only need 1, but something tells me I'd better buy at least a dozen!

Thanks again everyone! For parts, its getting scary out there! :)

The Parts Express part #023-646 suggested by Sofaspud looks pretty traditional and safe. Think I'll go for some of those.

@ c2cthomas Yeah I've though of using a chip and such too. But hey. look Ma... no batteries. :)

BTW, this is for a simple simple thing I made, which at least 10 people have begged me to make them. A simple black box with a volume control and know, with a pair of L/R ins and outs. Example applications:

1. PC sound card outputs to your external amplifier. Why fidgit with the many possible places to control the volume via software, some of which conflict each other, and all of which do it in the digital realm, effectively losing bits of resolution when set to anything less than Max. Instead, just set all the software controls in your system to MAX, and easilly set your volume with this one control.

2. Audio PA mixers main output control. All PA system mixers that have both a MAIN and a MONITOR output do the same stupid thing. The MONITOR control regulates the monitor level only, but the MAIN control regulates both the monitor AND main outputs. This simple addition solves the problem without having to attempt modification of the mixer. Just add the separate control box to the main output, and you have a truly independent MAIN output control, that doesn't affect the monitor.

3. All the above and other applications, with NO BATTERIES required! :)

Last edited:
@ no Smoking: Thanks!
@Fenris: That's a pretty part! Would go nice in a lot of projects. I wonder if you have to buy a tray ful at a time, being its listed as a surface mount part? I've already ordered from All Electronics Corp, but I'll save your link and hit you back if I wanna try one.
@LAJ: Hey... you're talkin to a guy who got his first "color TV" out of a dumpster back in TUBE days, dried it with hair dryers for about a week, and slowly resurrected it back to darn good health! But I'm too lazy to go dumpster diving these days. :)

@Fennis

@mutter I must be completely misusing the Mouser website. I try to be general in my search terms, but i didn't find any of those parts when I was looking. I think I'd be better starting with the paper catalog on my desk next time!

I found that part previously when I was looking for a part for a headphone amp build.

I also went the other way. Starting at the ALPS site to find an ALPS part number and then tried to find what was in stock at Mouser/Digikey.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.