Help! DH Labs Ultimate RCA plug - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2011, 09:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help! DH Labs Ultimate RCA plug

I have just purchased eight DH Labs Ultimate RCA plugs and enough Pro Studio cable for two sets of interconnects, but I cannot figure how to attach the braid to the barrel of the plug in a way that will maintain proper operation of the locking sleeve.

I assume that the braid attaches to the slot in the barrel, but I can't get it threaded in there. Is it necessary to bend down the bar formed by the two slots so that the cable shield can slip into the gap, be crimped and soldered? I'm not a newbie, but I'm accustomed to cheap connectors with solder tabs.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:12 PM   #2
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

You're using a coaxial cable I take it? The bar is often used but is not my favorite (I've soldered some hundreds of the Ultimate RCAs, DARNED FINE choice of connector). Preferable is to make 2 little pigtails of approximately half the braid strands, one on either side of the cable (180 degrees from each other) and lay them along the top edge of the shell (the flat portion between the inside and the outside of the shell, parallel to the center pin). You'll have to pre-form them to get the cable to lay properly with the pigtail laid nicely up against that edge (it should be pressing against it). Be sure not to let them go further out (away from the center pin) than the outside cylendar of the body.

Use good strong solder, the cardas Quad Eutectic is very nice indeed and much stronger mechanically than some others. Also, take very good care with the strain relief, you don't want to stress these joints since they're only affixed via solder.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, I see what you mean.
BTW, do you solder directly to the gold plating, or do you scrape it off and solder to the copper substrate?

Hide this!Advertise here!