Panasonic HFS Series Capacitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I was at my local electronics shoppe today, and way in the back I found dusty bags, still sealed, full of Panasonic HFS Series capacitors; 1000uF/25v. I tore one open and asked 'how much wunna these costs.'

$0.25

I bought 16.

So far all the info I can find says that when these were discontinued in 1999, Panasonic said that the FC was the replacement series.

They also had bags of big blue caps, that kinda looked like they were poly (think orange drop, but blue).

Do I go back for more?

The rubber seals in electrolytic caps are attacked by the oxygen in the air, just sitting on the shelf. I used to buy electrolytics off the bargain shelf at the distributor (antecedent of E-bay), but life is too short to install 1 or 2 year life parts. 20 years is about max just sitting around. The date code should be YWW where Y is the last digit of the year.
plastic film caps are forever, unless they come from an incompetent manufacturer, or your dealer is selling rejects like R***** S***** used to do. Film won't have a plus on one lead. After 1966, paper was pretty rare, you really don't want paper.

Last edited:
Funny you mentioned HFS series caps because if they were discontinued in '99, they must have been re-introduced as I saw them in the DigiKey catalog earlier today. They're a strange lot though as some have very high ripple current but others of the same value are less than half. The FM series are much more consistent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.