Where to find Dual Pots with Switches

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a dual gang audio taper pots with a rotary switch on the third deck. These were once very common and were used on vintage stereo amps like those made by The Fisher and HH Scott with their ubiquitous "on/off/volume" knobs. NOS items can occasional be had but are usually a little too expensive, generally over $50.

Some manufacturers like Alpha show the switch option in their catalogs, but the supply houses like Mouser et al don't carry them. They seem nearly impossible to find today from new sources. Does any one know where to source these "off the shelf"?

Last edited:
OEMs order pots to specification. Alps, ALpha, whoever will show all sorts of options. You order whatever features you want and they make the parts for you. They don;t have them sitting around already. Especially something esoteric like a dual pot of some value plus a power switch. Companies like Mouser will stock a few very basic generic pots from them.

I'm in a similar boat right now, although the pot I need is nothing fancy (slide-type, 5K x 2, audio taper). It looks like the "usual suspects" (digikey, mouser, newark) don't have these in stock.

It would be nice to have a list of places that normally carry a decent inventory of this kind of stuff...

Nice find. I note that the switch is rated for 3A at 16V. I doubt that it would hold up at 120VAC and say 1.5 amp.

Enzo makes the point that you can get anything you like in quantity. The next best thing to ordering in quantity would be to find an OEM using the pot you covet that would sell it from their parts desk at a fair price. I just cant think of anyone using switched pots these days. For good reason.

The switch can be used for a relay or soft-start or standby type switch. I'm sure I would be more comfortable with that than with 120vac at several amps running that close to my low level signal (and hand). A tiny switchmode 5v, 100ma power supply would be fine for this and still only have a small amount of "vampire" power usage while being dirt cheap.

Thanks for the link. I checked their catalog. The P/N starting with 27 are dual and the A,B and D suffix are the various switches. The N is no switch. All of their 27 pots end in N which indicates that their switched pots are all single. That is what I'm finding at alpha and others.

Last edited:
Dual gang mains switched potentiometers

This is an old thread but I still have folk asking for these in 2016!!
I have a small stock of 100K dual gang pots with a dpst 4A 240V switch. I had them specially made by Omeg in the UK. The tracks are 'best matched' by Omeg. These are ideal replacements for many vintage dual gang mains switched volume controls on radios and amplifiers. The spindles are made of 6.25mm (1/4") diam nylon (no flat), 18mm (0.7") length length from outer end of a 9.25mm (0.36") diam mounting bush.
I don't normally supply components but I know how frustrating it is when you cant find parts for love nor money. I will happily supply these for enthusiasts desperately looking for replacements, at cost @ £10.00 each + carriage.

Dual Pots with switches

Hi, All,

I know this is an old thread, but I arrived at it when searching for a dual pot with a switch. Someone on another forum put me on to Blore-Edwards in the UK, who also do a comprehensive range of rotary switches. They're versatile enough to be able to supply their pots and switches in almost any configuration you can think of and, as a bonus, they'll also supply with either metric (6mm) or imperial (1/4") spindles, slotted or flatted, and with PCB connectors or good ole solder tags. They're ideal for vintage equipment.

Best of all, they don't require a minimum order - they'll do small runs or on-offs for retail, and they'll accept payment through PayPal.

No connection, just a happy customer. Thought I'd pass on the good news.

Cheers,

Frank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.