Big Film Caps (10µf)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A preamp that I'm restoring currently has a couple of 10µf bipolar electrolytics at the output of one gain section. I want to replace with a decent film cap. Voltage rating is unimportant (less than 10V DC on the cap).

Usually in situations like this, I end up settling for a Black Gate because of size constraints. However, in this instance I actually have quite a bit of room to work with. What I do find, however, is that in this size catagory that all I really have to work with are basically speaker crossover caps (auricap, Hoveland, Musicap, etc, etc). I would rather find a cap that is designed to be used for what I need, rather than use a speaker cap internal to my amp.

Perhaps my hesitation is unfounded and I may have no choice other than using a crossover-type cap (and if so I lean towards a auricap). But it seems as if there ought to be more choices....

Any ideas??

EchoWars said:
What I do find, however, is that in this size catagory that all I really have to work with are basically speaker crossover caps (auricap, Hoveland, Musicap, etc, etc).

Those caps are not designed specificaly for speakers crosovers. Many manufacturers are using them as coupling caps in line stages as well. What other choice are you looking for (except for Wima;)? There are Panasonics (which are used in PassLabs equipment, Rifa (used by Cello), You might try Siemens MKV (which I like a lot with tweaters, but availability migh tbe restricted) or Jensen caps (used by BAT).

But my personal preference would probably be MIT RTX (although quite expensive in this value)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

But my personal preference would probably be MIT RTX (although quite expensive in this value)

Mine too... if it weren't for size and most prohibitively: price.

With only 10VDC bias on their plates I also doubt they'd sound their best here.

Maybe some low voltage Wimas ( 63 V is the lowest for filmcaps IIRC) could work better here.

I never really compared so take this at face value.

Cheers, ;)

Just out of curiosity where did you find the Panasonic film caps in the Digikey catalog? I see the Aluminum Electrolytic Caps that are normal sized (like FC,EB,KS series), and they also have film caps that go up 10um, but they are real little kinds, those rectangle shaped ones...probably not what your looking for.

Are those decent caps? The MKP 1840 series has a 10µf 250V cap that would fit quite well...I just don't know much about Vishay-Roederstein capacitors...

Did some searching and a couple of places show them...but all seem to be on backorder. Plus the caps are selling for about $22 each :bigeyes: The Auricap is only a couple of dollars more.

Such decisions. If the companies that showed the MKP on their list had 'em in stock, I might have ordered.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Are those decent caps?

They certainly are. I used to use them extensively...not as good as the best audio caps around but then you knew that already.

The Auricap is only a couple of dollars more

$ 22 is a lot of money for a 10 µF cap...I get 10 µF/400VDC radial MKP caps from Benny Glass at less than Euro 5/EA.

I don't know their exact size but the Audyns are remarkably small.

AQUABLUE

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

And remakably expensive once shipping to the US is taken into account ($30 EU )

From Euro 5 to $ 30 when importing to the U.S?

You must be kidding...when I import goods from the US I pay 21% VAT + 9 % ex-European Community tax as a business.

This would rate at 6.50 Euro without shipping ( which is up to the customer to decide which way to go but it's cheap anyway).

So, lets make it 10 Euro, worst case...where do these $30 come from?

When I ran my audio businesses I exported 98% of our produce worldwide so please, don't tell me any crap, please?:(

Who gave you quotes like that?

Cheers,;)

Just quoting what they say on the site...under 2KG, $30 EU.

http://www.diyparadiso.com/ship1.htm

No Solens in my amp. OK for a crossover, but not in my amp. And I thought about the GE caps too, but GE hasn't made caps for many moons, so these are ancient things (maybe not important, as film caps don't age like electrolytics). The price of those GE jobs are right though. Thing is, I'd rather overspend a bit and never wonder if I couldn't have done better, than pop in a substandard cap and feel as if I cut a corner. This preamp must be as perfect as I can make it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.