Big Film Caps (10f) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2003, 10:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Big Film Caps (10f)

A preamp that I'm restoring currently has a couple of 10f bipolar electrolytics at the output of one gain section. I want to replace with a decent film cap. Voltage rating is unimportant (less than 10V DC on the cap).

Usually in situations like this, I end up settling for a Black Gate because of size constraints. However, in this instance I actually have quite a bit of room to work with. What I do find, however, is that in this size catagory that all I really have to work with are basically speaker crossover caps (auricap, Hoveland, Musicap, etc, etc). I would rather find a cap that is designed to be used for what I need, rather than use a speaker cap internal to my amp.

Perhaps my hesitation is unfounded and I may have no choice other than using a crossover-type cap (and if so I lean towards a auricap). But it seems as if there ought to be more choices....

Any ideas??
Old 2nd August 2003, 10:42 PM   #2
Banned

i use http://www.wima.com/
Old 2nd August 2003, 10:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Big Film Caps (10f)

Quote:
Originally posted by EchoWars
What I do find, however, is that in this size catagory that all I really have to work with are basically speaker crossover caps (auricap, Hoveland, Musicap, etc, etc).
Those caps are not designed specificaly for speakers crosovers. Many manufacturers are using them as coupling caps in line stages as well. What other choice are you looking for (except for Wima? There are Panasonics (which are used in PassLabs equipment, Rifa (used by Cello), You might try Siemens MKV (which I like a lot with tweaters, but availability migh tbe restricted) or Jensen caps (used by BAT).

But my personal preference would probably be MIT RTX (although quite expensive in this value)
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 2nd August 2003, 11:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
But my personal preference would probably be MIT RTX (although quite expensive in this value)
Mine too... if it weren't for size and most prohibitively: price.

With only 10VDC bias on their plates I also doubt they'd sound their best here.

Maybe some low voltage Wimas ( 63 V is the lowest for filmcaps IIRC) could work better here.

I never really compared so take this at face value.

Cheers,
Old 2nd August 2003, 11:26 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
63 V is the lowest for filmcaps IIRC
not 10F, but 6,8F i have a WIMA 40V SMD Filmcap here, they sent me as sample.
Old 2nd August 2003, 11:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
not 10F, but 6,8F i have a WIMA 40V SMD Filmcap here, they sent me as sample.
Till,

Would you have a source for good quality low voltage polypropylene caps ( not SMD) ?

TIA.

Cheers,
Old 3rd August 2003, 12:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Peter..

I'd love to slap a Panasonic polypropylene in there. Where am I gonna find a 10f cap though?? The biggest I can get at Digikey is a 4.7...
Old 3rd August 2003, 12:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I thought they had larger values available. You can either parallel two of them, or use just one 4.7u. This value isn't usually very critical and lower value should work fine as well.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 3rd August 2003, 01:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Parallellling is a last resort...and I'd hate to go smaller...it would bug me.

Might be doing the Auricap thing after all....
Old 3rd August 2003, 02:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Just out of curiosity where did you find the Panasonic film caps in the Digikey catalog? I see the Aluminum Electrolytic Caps that are normal sized (like FC,EB,KS series), and they also have film caps that go up 10um, but they are real little kinds, those rectangle shaped ones...probably not what your looking for.

Hide this!Advertise here!