Went to the surplus yard today (got capacitors)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
5541134040_1552a2607d_b.jpg

Link to tagged photo for values

Yes that is a 6" steel ruler, those are some big CD 1800uf 400V caps. I also got a bag of capacitor screws. I love Los Angeles!

I bought a cap meter a few weeks ago when I stumbled upon this place. It's called Apex electronics, and it's really a crazy score. The CD caps were in a box of around 100 of them, on top of four boxes all marked the same. $5 each.

I'm sure that the paper ones are gone but I liked the look so I'm going to meter them then scope them and see how they test.

If you go to apex, go to the back wall behind the capacitor isle, it's transformer alley!!

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
I bought a cap meter a few weeks ago when I stumbled upon this place. It's called Apex electronics, and it's really a crazy score. The CD caps were in a box of around 100 of them, on top of four boxes all marked the same. $5 each.

I'm sure that the paper ones are gone but I liked the look so I'm going to meter them then scope them and see how they test.

If you go to apex, go to the back wall behind the capacitor isle, it's transformer alley!!

Oh yeah, I've been to Apex before, up there at the north eastern end of the San Fernando Valley. It's an incredible place/yard full of all kinds of stuff!

Toxic Waste Alert....

Many of the older larger size electros and paper/oil caps contain PCB's - Polychlorinated biphenyl - Polychlorinated biphenyl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
These have a characteristic phenolic smell (freshly cut/filed bakelite smell) and should be totally avoided.
This odour will quickly permeate your garage/living space and takes very long time to dissipate.

Eric.

I've got a lot of surplus 97 date 400V 1600 uf electrolytics from motor drives, but I am afraid to use them. With that much energy, if they are dried out or the rubber seals are bad and they do dry out when hot, they go off with a bang. I'll use small ~50-100 uf electrolytic caps that are old but unused in circuits with enough impedance to limit the explosion if they go, and easy enough to reach to replace if they do go off. Plastic film caps are forever. I've bought transformers & circuit breakers from Apex.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
PCB Caps

Many of the older larger size electros and paper/oil caps contain PCB's - Polychlorinated biphenyl -
These have a characteristic phenolic smell (freshly cut/filed bakelite smell) and should be totally avoided.
This odour will quickly permeate your garage/living space and takes very long time to dissipate.Eric.
'Sounds like you have personal (bad) experience there, Eric.
It would be good to identify these because most such capacitors were BIG. Typically, all paper in oil caps are large for their electrical specification and have to be sealed, so they are metal cased, surmounted by insulated terminals. To choose one of these
babies for your amp, and then likely only HV tube types, you would be quite aware that something was wrong or inappropriate from
the first glance. Why people are so attracted to vintage components is not just amusing, with HV it's audiophoolishness. The only
way to be certain of them being PCB free, without a genuine declaration for the exact part, is for a recent date of manufacture by a reputable manufacturer.
Still fancy your chances on Ebay or a warehouse clearance? :eek:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.