Caps - Mundorf Silver/oil vs silver/gold/oil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All of the discussions about caps are interesting.

I often think i can hear differenses when switching components but when i measure the amp i can´t verify it.

What is measurable is when u start using components of lowgrade bipolars etc.

When measuring MKC, MKE, MKP of good brands versus all kind of black art vodo special caps and russian giant PIO`s the test results aren´t there.

The human ear is a very sensitive instrument that´s for sure but i think the happy feeling from installing a nice component affect it.

I respect people with golden ears, my self i was equiped with a pair of the lead version works for me but i´m impressed by people that can hear 24Kz.

Yes, in Mundorf web say nothing about, this was the reason because a few years ago I bought "silver in oil" for replace the capacitors on two integrated amps, but on both cases the capacitors died.

I talked about with a Mundorf representative and said me that these capacitors don't be made for work on hot places, in a hot place the oil degrades the silver foil (loss the value), the Supremes don't have this problem

Now I'm using Silver in Oil on a Pass B1 (not heat there), because I love the sound as well I use it on my speaker filters.

Cheers

That's funny, becasue VTL uses Mundorf Silver/Oil in their Signature Tube Monoblock amps:

VTL - Signature Monoblock Amplifiers

Magz, what are you saying, that there's no truth to the temperature claim?

As for measured values and perceived sound quality, this comes down to the difference between theory and practice; these two things are not the same!

I don't know, but don't you think a company like VTL would have checked the silver/oil caps to be certain they were stable in their signature tube monoblocks? With 8 KT-88s and 450W of power, it must get somewhat hot inside those amps. I also know several people who have put them into tube preamps with no issues.

Last edited:
Aren't all the Mundorf Silver Oil's supremes?

There is a plain Mundorf Supreme line that is aluminum metallized polypropylene with no oil.

The Supreme Silver/gold is silver/gold metallized polypropylene with no oil.

The Supreme Silver/oil is silver metallized polypropylene impregnated with oil.

The Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil is silver/gold metallized polypropylene impregnated with oil.

metallized polypropylene
Well now I understand why Jensen foil capacitors is so much better then Mundorf Silver Oil.

BTW I never used Ultra-Tone capacitors but worked with local soviet paper foil K40-U9 that must be pretty similar to Ultra-Tone in design. K40-U9 is very good actually. I would rate it better then Mundorf Silver Oil but not on par with Deulund still.

imho it might make sense try out Ultra-Tone caps for applications where Deulund cost is prohibitive.

FWIW, I found Mundorf silver and silver/gold disappointing in speaker crossovers. Much coarser than I expected at the price. Still have to try as interstage, but not optimistic. Teflon - well I haven't heard anything smoother. Russian paper in oil also sound smooth, but just seem to kill treble, whether in PS, or in signal path.

Maybe comparable in the mids. No comparison at either frequency extremes.

Would not argue. There is the same opinions regarding hi frequencies on Russian forums and teflon popular here as well. Anyway soviet K40U9 out of production for a while and getting 450V ones almost impossible nowadays. My point was regarding paper foil capacitors that might be worth trying out. Here is a link to take a look at Capacitors

Jensen/Duelund paper foil is the best stuff for sure (no teflon inside sorry folks).

The Jensen specs are -20 to +30% variance, while the Mundorf is +/- 2%. Is the Jensen really a better cap?

Also, does any have any experience with the AudioNote copper foil/mylar caps, would you recommend them?

I had replace one in a Audio Note Quest, is the first time that I had to replace a capacitor like this by a failure (Short), I'm not sure about his reliability and is very expensive. :confused:

The most positive experience I had with capacitors is with the V-Caps, very nice sound, but very very expensive and need a very long burn in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.