polyprop caps, metalized or foil? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2011, 10:15 PM   #21
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If you're talking about standard film caps from major manufacturers (e.g., Wima, Panasonic...), then that's largely true. When you bring in boutique caps from "audiophile" sources, then many of these problems can appear.
Old 8th March 2011, 10:58 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
If you're talking about standard film caps from major manufacturers (e.g., Wima, Panasonic...), then that's largely true. When you bring in boutique caps from "audiophile" sources, then many of these problems can appear.
My definition of distortion is the introduction of frequencies that were not present in the original signal. Capacitors are in the signal or feedback path. What source of distortion is greater than effect of DA?
Old 8th March 2011, 11:12 PM   #23
diyAudio Moderator

Could you please give an example of the distortion you're talking about?
Old 8th March 2011, 11:27 PM   #24
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Getting back to the original question.

With respect to coupling caps I don't think you can make a blanket statement that one type is superior to the other. The general assumption is that film and foil are superior; but I have certainly heard some pretty good metallised caps and some pretty dire foil ones.

I think the outcome is more due to materials selection, manufacturing processes and QA.
Old 9th March 2011, 12:27 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Could you please give an example of the distortion you're talking about?
The distortion that results from using caps with high DA (electrolytics - ceramics), as opposed to using low DA caps like polypropylene film in signal or feedback path.
Old 9th March 2011, 01:36 AM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

Well, that's what's used in the signal path of my sound card (input cap, output cap, feedback cap), but the distortion is below 0.001%. Ditto the nice solid state power amp I use in my lab (an old school Adcom 555, not quite 0.001, but down there).

So can you give a different example?
Old 9th March 2011, 02:26 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, that's what's used in the signal path of my sound card (input cap, output cap, feedback cap), but the distortion is below 0.001%. Ditto the nice solid state power amp I use in my lab (an old school Adcom 555, not quite 0.001, but down there).

So can you give a different example?
Absolute distortion measurements can be misleading; did the distortion change when you replaced high DA caps with low DA ? Did the sound character of the equipment change?
Old 9th March 2011, 02:57 AM   #28
diyAudio Moderator

At those ridiculously low levels, I doubt that I could measure or hear a change. In any sort of practical amplifier circuit, the caps are rarely the limiting factor in distortion- tubes and transistors are highly nonlinear devices in comparison.
Old 9th March 2011, 07:02 AM   #29
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHinton View Post
My definition of distortion is the introduction of frequencies that were not present in the original signal. Capacitors are in the signal or feedback path. What source of distortion is greater than effect of DA?
Then, you're talking about non-linear distortion.
DA does not belong to that category.
Non-linear effects are caused by a change in permittivity as a function of the applied electric field, and they depend upon the absolute level of tension applied to the capacitor. DA remains the same at 1mV or 1KV.
If you use a 50V mylar capacitor at AC voltages of several volts, some non-linear effects will be noticeable, but if you use a 1000V part in the same conditions, the effects will practically vanish.
Old 9th March 2011, 08:09 AM   #30
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Walt jung's article Picking Capacitors part II has a description of how DA causes "distortion" of audio signals. Certainly to a layman like me it seems to be plausible. The attachment is just a small extract from the article. Both part one and part two are available on Walts site, where he gives quite a thorough (I thought) coverage of why you would want to use various types of capacitors in preference to others.

I've yet to read Cyril Batemans Understanding capacitors articles.

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: png DA_effect.png (57.9 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by wintermute; 9th March 2011 at 08:13 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!