Crackling Capacitor allert - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2011, 02:41 AM   #1
Arick is offline Arick  Canada
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Crackling Capacitor allert

Hello everyone,
I purchased a couple of DIY voltage regulators on e-bay and as I connected them, I had two that had capacitors crackling on me and heating up. I had correctly installed them on the board but it seam's the marking on the cans were reversed! The capacitors are branded Aerovox 4700uf 50VDC UK made (maybe they are). I just tough this might be some interest to some of you.
Eric
Old 4th March 2011, 10:31 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Perhaps the capacitors were fakes? I find it hard to believe that a UK factory would get the polarity wrong.
Old 4th March 2011, 10:52 AM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I find it hard to believe that a UK factory would get the polarity wrong.
Perhaps they were made by Lucas?
Old 4th March 2011, 11:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Eh?

My thought was that most UK factories are so hedged about by Quality Assurance procedures that the workers can't even take 'comfort breaks' without going on a three-day training course to gain their NVQ Level 2 Personal Hygiene certificate. (I exaggerate, but not much!).
Old 4th March 2011, 11:16 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Lucas - Prince of Darkness - Lucas Electrical Humor Jokes
Old 4th March 2011, 11:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Now you know why I always drive a Toyota!

Back in olden days, on a cold damp morning (i.e. most mornings in Britain except in July), you could hear the repeated call of the British starter motor. At about the third or fourth attempt the engine would usually splutter into life. If not, either the carb was by now flooded with petrol (either take the top off and pour it onto the road, or go indoors for another cup of tea and wait for the excess to evaporate) - or the distributor cap was suffering from damp and/or tracking so it needed a wipe out with an oily rag.

My life was much more boring. My little Toyota started perfectly every time. In theory it used exactly the same technology as the British cars, but somehow it did it so much better. In those days it was considered unpatriotic to drive a foreign car. I like my country, but I regard a car as a mode of transport rather than a mobile flag.
Old 4th March 2011, 11:57 AM   #7
just another
diyAudio Moderator

That's brilliant SY. Having driven a morris 1100 for 13 years I can relate to it. One of the very early things I did with my morris was build a transistor assisted ignition and replace the points with a hall effect device... water in the distributor was never a problem after that! I now drive a peugeot (British build) and it's electrics leave a lot to be desired as well! Though the thing that has given me the most grief are the magneti marelli ignition coils.

Back on topic.. you are lucky they didn't explode on your Eric, 4700uF (if they really are that) would go off with quite a bang! I reckon fakes is likely...

Tony.
Old 4th March 2011, 12:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th March 2011, 01:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Perhaps the capacitors were fakes? I find it hard to believe that a UK factory would get the polarity wrong.
I also think they are fake.
Eric
Old 4th March 2011, 01:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
That's brilliant SY. Having driven a morris 1100 for 13 years I can relate to it. One of the very early things I did with my morris was build a transistor assisted ignition and replace the points with a hall effect device... water in the distributor was never a problem after that! I now drive a peugeot (British build) and it's electrics leave a lot to be desired as well! Though the thing that has given me the most grief are the magneti marelli ignition coils.

Back on topic.. you are lucky they didn't explode on your Eric, 4700uF (if they really are that) would go off with quite a bang! I reckon fakes is likely...

Tony.
I felt very lucky also, In my case I did not recognize the sound because it was the first time something like this happened to me. But I was quick to pull the plug! I guess they were about to explode because they got very hot and the top of it was bulged...

Hide this!Advertise here!