Crackling Capacitor allert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,
I purchased a couple of DIY voltage regulators on e-bay and as I connected them, I had two that had capacitors crackling on me and heating up. I had correctly installed them on the board but it seam's the marking on the cans were reversed! The capacitors are branded Aerovox 4700uf 50VDC UK made (maybe they are). I just tough this might be some interest to some of you.
Eric

Now you know why I always drive a Toyota!

Back in olden days, on a cold damp morning (i.e. most mornings in Britain except in July), you could hear the repeated call of the British starter motor. At about the third or fourth attempt the engine would usually splutter into life. If not, either the carb was by now flooded with petrol (either take the top off and pour it onto the road, or go indoors for another cup of tea and wait for the excess to evaporate) - or the distributor cap was suffering from damp and/or tracking so it needed a wipe out with an oily rag.

My life was much more boring. My little Toyota started perfectly every time. In theory it used exactly the same technology as the British cars, but somehow it did it so much better. In those days it was considered unpatriotic to drive a foreign car. I like my country, but I regard a car as a mode of transport rather than a mobile flag.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's brilliant SY. Having driven a morris 1100 for 13 years I can relate to it. One of the very early things I did with my morris was build a transistor assisted ignition and replace the points with a hall effect device... water in the distributor was never a problem after that! I now drive a peugeot (British build) and it's electrics leave a lot to be desired as well! Though the thing that has given me the most grief are the magneti marelli ignition coils.

Back on topic.. you are lucky they didn't explode on your Eric, 4700uF (if they really are that) would go off with quite a bang! I reckon fakes is likely...

Tony.

That's brilliant SY. Having driven a morris 1100 for 13 years I can relate to it. One of the very early things I did with my morris was build a transistor assisted ignition and replace the points with a hall effect device... water in the distributor was never a problem after that! I now drive a peugeot (British build) and it's electrics leave a lot to be desired as well! Though the thing that has given me the most grief are the magneti marelli ignition coils.

Back on topic.. you are lucky they didn't explode on your Eric, 4700uF (if they really are that) would go off with quite a bang! I reckon fakes is likely...

Tony.

I felt very lucky also, In my case I did not recognize the sound because it was the first time something like this happened to me. But I was quick to pull the plug! I guess they were about to explode because they got very hot and the top of it was bulged...:eek:

Ho, ho, some great jokes there, takes you back to those old 'dark' days, when most motorcycle accidents were because the lights were so poor that you couldn't be seen.
However having said that, it was usually down to the vehicle manufacturers specifying 'cheap, cheap' and cobbling together their own wiring looms. I've run around on varoius brit bikes with uncle joes' electrics and I usually did a complete rewire with my own looms, and then there was never any trouble and brilliant lights. As ever, it's down to how the bits are put together.
The Fridge beer joke is very funny but it conceals a very real irony, some brit beer is the only beer produced in the world (with some exceptions) that CAN be drunk warm, as it tastes so good. On the other hand most other 'beers' are so awful, it has to be refrigerated so you can't taste it.
Now, back to that 'best amp' argument, er I mean meaningful discussion, lol.
Regards
Henry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.