Safe to use 300v wire for much higher voltage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
I recently bought a spool multiconductor cable to make an umbilical cable between the PSU and amp. Problem is I only got a 300v rated one, meanwhile my PSU has 580vdc running through.
The cable has "AWM style 2343" printing on it and after googling around for a while, I got a datasheet saying that it's OK to use this cable at 600v peak.

What I'm still uncleared is whether the 300v is AC or DC rated?
Anyone trying using 300v cable for higher voltage?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If it's 300vdc rated it's not high enough for 580 vdc.
If it's 300vac rated then that equates to a peak voltage of 424volts. Again not high enough.

Maybe your cable is rated for 600vdc, maybe not, but if it were bought as 300vdc rated you have to assume that is it's rating unless you can prove beyond doubt otherwise.

If it's this cable:- http://www.nationalwire.com/pdf/NW.pdf ...then it's rated 300 VRMS for appliance use. The Mil. Spec. is 1000VRMS, it's rated 600 VRMS for electronic use and the insulation breakdown voltage is: greater than 5000 volts AC RMS, 60cp. Electronic use AFAIK means in an enclosure inaccessible to touch.

Better safe than sorry. If I was buying cable for this application, I'd be looking for 600 VRMS appliance rated. How'd you feel if a child got a shock?

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.