OpAmp Advice Needed Please Guys

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks. I was advised to replace the two OpAmps in my Pioneer PDS802 with two of the high quality LM4562 which are DIL 4 pins per side. They arrived today and with enormous enthusiasm I took off the cover and searched for the two OpAmps to remove. After many checks in every little nook and crannie, I did not find any OpAmps of that configuration. What I DID find were two "Single line" ic's labelled NJM5532SD.
Could you please tell me if I am supposed to somehow adapt the LM4562 to replace the 5532SD's or have I ordered completely incorrect items.
If incorrect, could a member please let me know what is the best IC to buy for replacement of the 5532SD's.
I have just earlier today completed replacement of ALL electrolytics and using the analogue out-which is my preference-I got better impression of dynamics and noticeably increase in same given volume as set before the re-cap job. So I am definitely going thru with the works (as funds permit over time that is!!) Thanks guys..

Mooly the link you gave shows the configuration of what is fitted in the player-all pins in one line.
The LM4562 has 4 pins per side and is about 1/4 of an inch or so long.
So question is Can I get a LM4562 in the same configuration as the IC on your link?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
My data sheet suggests not.

tbh the SIL package is a bit rare these days. If you are into making PCB's it's easy to etch some adapters or buy some (check the connections are correct first and they are for dual opamps). Found these.
Parts & kits

You could even hard wire them if needs be I guess.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The nine pin package has pins 1 and 9 internally connected.

Look at the data sheets here (the packages) and make sure you understand :)
Imagine cutting off pin 1 and then renumbering all the remaining pins 1 to 8 (rather than the original 2 to 9)

Your 9 pin here (scroll down to the block diagram)
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/panasonic/AN6551.pdf

Standard dual opamp 8 pin dil,
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/philips/NE_SE5532_A_SA5532_3.pdf

Edit... You may need to physically link with wire 1 and 9 on the PCB if circuit continuity depended on the "wire" in the opamp. A quick look at the PCB should confimr whether that's needed.

Last edited:
Mooly..Um..Well...Er..
I have some good quality DIL 14 pin IC mounts for PCB. I thought I would use hook-up wire and solder from those 8 pins (from the new opamps) to the old 9 pins of the 5532 units. Thinking I would commence with soldering pin 1 of the new op amps to position of pin 2 of the old( in view of not using pin 1 of the old for anything) then on completion of the soldering I would insert the new op amps into the mounts and secure the new mounts with new op amps using a pliable material ie thin nyon wire ties where the op amps will not be in contact with anything warm. Do you agree? Advice is welcome..Laurie.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The leads to the opamp really need to be as short as possible really so one option is to fit pins 1 to 4 directly in the board (holes 2 to 5) and then hard wire the other 4 pins as neatly as possible.

Best solution is probably to try and get hold of some adapters like in my earlier link. They must be available from other companies too. Heat isn't a problem, the opamps are rated for temperatures above anything the player will generate.

Hey there Mooly thanks for that. All understood and I will follow your advice. It's 8:56am Thursday and I will commence this arvo about 4pm. So by tonight our time I should be back on here wiff advice/observations about the finished result!! Actually I can't wait to hear the result. After that all I have to do is try & figure-out which are the two output muting transistors to remove in order "to further open up the output detail" etc.. But first I will have a few days of listening after the OpAmp changs. Thanks again mate-ur advice really appreciated!! Cheers Laurie.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Just take it slowly and double check the connections as you wire it. If you make it permanent I would add a small cap neatly (anything small really from say 0.1uf to 10uf) directly across the opamp supply pins on the chip. That's pins 4 and 8 on the new one. Helps maintain a low impedance supply.

Muting transistors will be on the output of the final op amp stage and wired so as to short the output to ground (99% of the time). Can often be replaced by FET's which are far better. Try it all first though.

Quote "If you make it permanent I would add a small cap neatly (anything small really from say 0.1uf to 10uf) directly across the opamp supply pins on the chip. That's pins 4 and 8 on the new one. Helps maintain a low impedance supply."
So Mooly does that mean I solder one wire of the suggested small cap to pin 4 and the other wire from the cap to pin 8, when you say"directly across the supply pins" ?
Are we talking jus t a regular electrolytic cap?

OpAmp hardwiring not successful

Hi guys..I tried hardwiring one of the new LM OpAmps but not successful.
Botched the new LM ..
So I have researched the site more and found a reference for Browndog adaptors item 060301 so I figure that for three bucks & postage and two week wait from USofA it will be better to get some and another LM and try again.
At least I could refit the 5532 and still have CD playing until then:cool:
Oh well..S-it happens eh!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.