IRF Mosfets - Cheap in Singapore - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2003, 04:43 PM   #1
MBK is offline MBK  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default IRF Mosfets - Cheap in Singapore

I just bought some modest retail quantities of IRF9610, IRF610 and IRFP140N here in Singapore, labeled International Rectifier.

Surprise - firstly that I found them quite easily, secondly that retail price was almost half that of Digikey (US) , and almost 2/3 off the prices of RS Singapore...

After scratching my head I realized International Rectifier have manufacturing here - I guess sometimes local price advantages still exist....
Old 30th July 2003, 04:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Digikey is the second highest expensive online place I've found for parts (on average)..

I think

newark is #1
digikey is #2

http://www.future-active.com has good pricing
on some transistors, in some cases 5x cheaper than
digikey.

another favorite which I do most of my ordering from
is www.mouser.com

I don't know why so many people flock to digikey?
Old 30th July 2003, 05:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

well in this case RS was even more expensive than Digikey...
Old 31st July 2003, 12:07 PM   #4
CH2 is offline CH2
diyAudio Member

Hi

I am also from Singapore. May I ask where did you get your fet from. I might be interested in getting some of those 140 too.

Cheers
Hock Hua
Old 31st July 2003, 07:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Hock Hua,

the 140 was from B&D electronics enterprise at Sim Lim Tower #03-03.
Old 31st July 2003, 07:35 PM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Do you Singapore guys have any problems with counterfeits?
Old 1st August 2003, 05:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

SY,

definitely, not all that glitters is gold here, most notoriously with connectors (RCA, XLR), which can be original, generic (clones of brand but not name labelled), fake with misspelled brand names... and possibly really good fakes as well.

So you go by look and feel of the part, packaging, store/shop, and price. Often a shop will carry originals, high price, and near identical generic/fake, low price, side by side - then at least you have a choice ;-) In the mall I mentioned there are possibly hundreds of electronics stores. After a while you find and settle on the ones selling the good stuff.

For transistors I suspect the same. So I checked manufacturing and labelling of the parts and it looks legit. A lot of the original semiconductors are actually made in Singapore, Malaysia or the Philippines, and many stores here are wholesellers - they carry 1000's parts in OEM boxes and will take out some retail quantities from a OEM box. So, makes sense if they're cheap.

Now, even legit parts could be factory rejects... Very easy pathway and very hard to check for. In my case all I can say that they all came from the same OEM type rail, measured Vgs was well in the range and spread was very sensible as well, actually better than I expected.
Old 1st August 2003, 08:36 AM   #8
CH2 is offline CH2
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info

BTW, how much did you pay for it?

I got some IRFP240 from another shop on 2nd floor. Can't remember the shop name. But were told that these fet only available once in a while. Last time I was there, the 240 were gone.

Cheers
Hock Hua
Old 1st August 2003, 03:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thylantyr
I don't know why so many people flock to digikey?
Digikey was sole-source for Linear Tech and Maxim -- but now you can buy directly from the companies through their websites -- although the turnaround is painfully slow. Digikey also carries the complete line from Nat Semi.

Digikey will make up cables for you and the turnaround is very fast, I like to use their flat cables with the 0.100" molex connections, particularly in microprocessor circuits.

they also have some of the exact ESR specification capacitors --

one last thing about DK is that they only operate out of Minnesota so they don't charge sales-tax on orders, and the people are actually nice to speak with. If you order from the big distributors like Allied you inevitably pay sales tax on your purchases.

Future Active is good if you are going to buy a few hundred pieces.
Old 1st August 2003, 06:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hock Hua,

those were SGD 2 a piece. And yes, the stocking seems to be erratic: one shop had plenty IRF9610 but no IRF610 or IRF140. The other had plenty IRF140 and just seven pieces left of IRF610. The date code on my IRF140 indicates late 2001 production so they don't sell them much I guess - like they buy one box and use it up slowly and then they're gone...

Hide this!Advertise here!