Toroidal Transformer Insulation Rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Folks !
I can't find my megger but need to know the insulation rating of a transformer . Unit is a 115/115 primary 50VA Talema , unable to find the info on the website , would guess much-of -a-mutchness between manufacturers . Any ideas ? Thanks for your time

316a

http://www.amveco.com/Power_Transformers.htm

Low Profile PC Mount:
Safety standard certifications (UL 506, UL 1950, UL File E122978, E138299)
VDE 0805, IEC 950, EN 60950
UL recognized for insulation Class A (105C). Meets all requirements of Class E(125°C)
Hipot testing at 4000V between primary and secondary. (VDE0550)
Maximum ambient temperature of +60°C for 1.6VA-25VA, +40°C for 35VA and 50VA models

Low Profile Miniature:
Safety standard certification (UL 506).
UL recognized for insulation Class A (105°C). Meets all requirements of Class E(125°C)
Hipot testing at 4000V between primary and secondary.
Maximum ambient temperature of +60°C

Is that what you needed?

Why not ?

I have used toroids for the last year succesfully in push-pull , parafeed and recently driving small ESL panels **without** problems . The only 'problem' is the bass driving cone drivers which is a tad light but who cares with a >1khz ESL panel ! I'm about to build a 20 x 36" panel which will require substantially higher drive (2500v p-p) hence the query and I doubt I'll be able to get enough drive directly from the amp's anodes . Why would toroids be a poor choice in your view ? When I find my megger I'll run some more tests to concur with the info on the Talema site

316a

Re: Why not ?

316a said:
I have used toroids for the last year succesfully in push-pull , parafeed and recently driving small ESL panels **without** problems . The only 'problem' is the bass driving cone drivers which is a tad light but who cares with a >1khz ESL panel ! I'm about to build a 20 x 36" panel which will require substantially higher drive (2500v p-p) hence the query and I doubt I'll be able to get enough drive directly from the amp's anodes . Why would toroids be a poor choice in your view ? When I find my megger I'll run some more tests to concur with the info on the Talema site

316a

Hmmm..it's typically a safety thing. The reasons that any transformer is tested to say 4000V hi-pot is to show a sufficient safety margin for the insulation. The insulation that passes for such a test will be very safe at lower voltages over a very wide range of temperatures and humidity levels.

Scott

What problem ?

Hello ,
Nothing to worry about , here in the UK , the weather is less variable than your side of the pond , what humidity ? Tx has been running for the last 30 mins , no heat , no fuss the **wrong** way round . I'm getting 1200v across the primary via isolating transformer on the secondary . With a 400V valve HT transformer I'm getting 1808V , same again , no problems , sparks , heat or near death experiences . The megger test will be the decider though .

316a

Re: Safety or performance?

dhaen said:
The critical point here is surely:

If the transformer were to break down, would it cause any safety hazzard, or just a horrible noise.

If the former - don't. If the latter, no problem.

Cheers,

I doubt anything really bad would happen , the latter will probably be the case at worst , I've only seen transformer insulation break down due to heat in the past . Arcing is the main enemy at these voltages

316a

dhaen said:

If the transformer were to break down, would it cause any safety hazzard, or just a horrible noise.

Cheers,

I've only seen transformer insulation break down due to heat in the past usually within telecoms equipment that had been switched on since the year dot surely a fus on the HT rail should do the trick ?

316a

dhaen said:

Cheers,

The answer is yes. ;-) Frankly I feel that it would cause both. Fire and/or component damage is possible and probable.

Scott

Re: Re: Safety or performance?

316a said:

I've only seen transformer insulation break down due to heat in the past usually within telecoms equipment that had been switched on since the year dot surely a fus on the HT rail should do the trick ?

316a

I honestly don't know. I've never run a transformer that hard unless it was meant to, or I was using a hi-pot tester that had a good current limit on it, so there wasn't a chance for a hazard. (Possible destruction of the device.....but anyway.)

Scott

I doubt that a transformer, if properly fused, could cause a fire risk in that application. Fire from transformers used to most often be caused by emission of flamable gasses, during overheating. This doesn't happen with approved transformers now.

What I was concerned about was electric shock hazzard, if the thing did break down, or just arc'd.
Can the centre-tap of the (new) secondary be earthed?

Cheers,

Insulation

dhaen said:
I doubt that a transformer, if properly fused, could cause a fire risk in that application. Fire from transformers used to most often be caused by emission of flamable gasses, during overheating. This doesn't happen with approved transformers now.

What I was concerned about was electric shock hazzard, if the thing did break down, or just arc'd.
Can the centre-tap of the (new) secondary be earthed?

Cheers,

If I earth the centre-tap I'd have to fully insulate the panel instead of just adding a cover to the rear . Insulating the panel would loose sensitivity unless I increased the polarising voltage / drive to compensate . If the thing would break down , the output stage would see a short or partial short , crackle-pop-no music . Considering many ESL builders use vintage valve output transformers the same way , with **unknown** insulation ratings , maybe it's an all-round problem , not just limited to how I'm intending on using the toroids

316a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.