parts sources

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Really? I see a "discounted shipping" option when I fill up a cart at Mouser. Just $8 shipping using USPS instead of a courier. Granted, that's to Canada, but it must be as cheap or cheaper to the USA.

Digi-key show an $8 flat rate too. The difference is that when I order from Digi-key, they ship to Canada from Canada and it comes by courier in a day or two.

Both Mouser and Digi-key have free shipping for big orders.

Then there is always e-bay. If you can wait at least 2 weeks or more, then you can get a wide variety of things shipped for next to nothing from Asia.

Really? I see a "discounted shipping" option when I fill up a cart at Mouser. Just $8 shipping using USPS instead of a courier. Granted, that's to Canada, but it must be as cheap or cheaper to the USA.

Digi-key show an $8 flat rate too. The difference is that when I order from Digi-key, they ship to Canada from Canada and it comes by courier in a day or two.

Both Mouser and Digi-key have free shipping for big orders.

Then there is always e-bay. If you can wait at least 2 weeks or more, then you can get a wide variety of things shipped for next to nothing from Asia.

i ordered via the phone and they said they didn't know the shipping charge but that it would be added later. that should have been my red flag! three small capacitors and the shipping was $12 ground.
thanks for your info.
mikeB.

I get $6 UPS surface from Mouser, TX to IN. UPS charges more to the coast, I'm paying $10 from phoenix-IN UPS. That is why I check USPS priority at tubesandmore, it is $9 instead of $10 AZ to IN UPS. UPS also charges more for "houses". My house is between a factory-industrial park and a shopping center, so UPS is charging me "industrial" rate. It also helps I have an unlocked enclosed porch where they can dump the package out of sight without coming back if I am not home. Roadway/Fed Ex ground charges me house prices and it is never under $10. Your problem is not mouser, it is their location in TX , your location in CA, and your house. I don't think Mouser ships USPS priority. I'm getting $6 UPS by newark from NC to IN, but $10 electronicsurplus.com via Priority mail (their only choice) BuffaloNY-IN.
Many vendors on E-bay, use UPS "stores" that will mark up the freight and kick money back to the vendor. I won't use E-bay. Another problem is counterfeits. A famous vendor in Lockwood NY will charge $150 to ship a body part UPS oversize to Albany, NY. When the fordforum member took a package of the same size Albany-Lockwood to the UPS actual facility, he got a $60 rate. He canceled, or course.

Last edited:
I get $6 UPS surface from Mouser, TX to IN. UPS charges more to the coast, I'm paying $10 from phoenix-IN UPS. That is why I check USPS priority at tubesandmore, it is $9 instead of $10 AZ to IN UPS. UPS also charges more for "houses". My house is between a factory-industrial park and a shopping center, so UPS is charging me "industrial" rate. It also helps I have an unlocked enclosed porch where they can dump the package out of sight without coming back if I am not home. Roadway/Fed Ex ground charges me house prices and it is never under $10. Your problem is not mouser, it is their location in TX , your location in CA, and your house. I don't think Mouser ships USPS priority. I'm getting $6 UPS by newark from NC to IN, but $10 electronicsurplus.com via Priority mail (their only choice) BuffaloNY-IN.
Many vendors on E-bay, use UPS "stores" that will mark up the freight and kick money back to the vendor. I won't use E-bay. Another problem is counterfeits. A famous vendor in Lockwood NY will charge $150 to ship a body part UPS oversize to Albany, NY. When the fordforum member took a package of the same size Albany-Lockwood to the UPS actual facility, he got a $60 rate. He canceled, or course.

thanks, appreciate the info.
note: i'm also running dynacos. i have two st70s set up in mono powering two jbl 4311s.

ST70

Cool, I got my first new quad of 6CA7's today in twenty years, from tubesandmore.com in phoenix. $9, 4 days, USPS priority. JJ big bottle, apparently new design. I just replaced the one pair of resistors I have in metal film, 47k, and am going to set the bias and give it a listen. A/B/C Peavey CS800s/Dynakit ST120 with djoffe bias mod/ stock 1961 ST70 with new output tubes and 1 pair metal resistors. Let the piano record ring (without hissing or buzzing).

mikeB.

Each and every day I have to deal with the same question you are asking in this thread.
Where am I going to find this or that part and will the shipping charges be excessive?
This gets harder when you only have a couple of inexpensive parts to order.
You can easily end up paying more for shipping than the cost of the parts.
I am not even talking about the places that have a minimum charge to be able to place an order.

There is no easy way to get around all those inconveniences. I often end up making a grid and put in all the parts I need on one side and all the suppliers on the other and check price and availability for each and every one of them. It is time consuming but you should do that at least once in awhile to find the best places. I usually end up making 2 or 3 orders from this list as it is extremely rare that one place has all the parts I need.

What is worst is that leaded parts are getting harder to find as time goes by making it even more problematic to find what I need. If you are looking for the usual parts, as I could call them, (1Nxxxx, 2Nxxxx, MJxxxx, TIPxxx and so on) your sure bets are Digi-Key, Mouser, Newark, Avnet, Allied, without forgetting Future. When Future has a part, you can bet it will be less expensive than all the others and sometimes by a huge margin. Too bad their offering is limited.

If you are looking for Asian parts (2SAxxxx, 2SB, 2SC, 2SD and so on), you can try with MCM, Mat, B&D, Audio Lab of Ga, Dalbani, Consolidated, Acme, Rich Tech and Pacific, which has the lowest prices around but has a $50 minimum and is often out of stock. Never forget to check with the majors as some of them have some of those semiconductors.

The more it goes, the more I order from abroad like: Germany, France, UK and even China lately. eBay is always on my list as a last resort when I can not find what I need any other way. There is no better place as it will always depend on what you are looking for. The Internet is always changing so I am always trying to find better places for what I need. Every once in awhile a new shop appears out of nowhere and gets added to my list of possible suppliers. Many I used to do business with vanished from my list as they became greedy or do not understand why they should keep their website up to date or do not send a catalog anymore. Places like Hosfelt, Moteva or Ceitron. I do not say they are bad places to do business with but instead let say that for some reasons they no longer fit my needs...

I am not married to any of those suppliers so I am always comparing to find a better deal. Octopart is a very good tool for that. Digi-Key may not have the best prices and sometimes by quite a margin but it gives one of the best service I can find. When I need it tomorrow, it is the place that will get my order as it delivers 99% of the time.

I can obviously not list all the places I do business with but if you have any specific needs, do not hesitate to ask. I know lots of good suppliers and not only for electronics. (Hardware, tools, lighting, batteries etc...)

Good hunting and be careful with too good to be true offers or shady suppliers as there are counterfeit parts out there...

Regards,

mikeB.

Each and every day I have to deal with the same question you are asking in this thread.
Where am I going to find this or that part and will the shipping charges be excessive?
This gets harder when you only have a couple of inexpensive parts to order.
You can easily end up paying more for shipping than the cost of the parts.
I am not even talking about the places that have a minimum charge to be able to place an order.

There is no easy way to get around all those inconveniences. I often end up making a grid and put in all the parts I need on one side and all the suppliers on the other and check price and availability for each and every one of them. It is time consuming but you should do that at least once in awhile to find the best places. I usually end up making 2 or 3 orders from this list as it is extremely rare that one place has all the parts I need.

What is worst is that leaded parts are getting harder to find as time goes by making it even more problematic to find what I need. If you are looking for the usual parts, as I could call them, (1Nxxxx, 2Nxxxx, MJxxxx, TIPxxx and so on) your sure bets are Digi-Key, Mouser, Newark, Avnet, Allied, without forgetting Future. When Future has a part, you can bet it will be less expensive than all the others and sometimes by a huge margin. Too bad their offering is limited.

If you are looking for Asian parts (2SAxxxx, 2SB, 2SC, 2SD and so on), you can try with MCM, Mat, B&D, Audio Lab of Ga, Dalbani, Consolidated, Acme, Rich Tech and Pacific, which has the lowest prices around but has a $50 minimum and is often out of stock. Never forget to check with the majors as some of them have some of those semiconductors.

The more it goes, the more I order from abroad like: Germany, France, UK and even China lately. eBay is always on my list as a last resort when I can not find what I need any other way. There is no better place as it will always depend on what you are looking for. The Internet is always changing so I am always trying to find better places for what I need. Every once in awhile a new shop appears out of nowhere and gets added to my list of possible suppliers. Many I used to do business with vanished from my list as they became greedy or do not understand why they should keep their website up to date or do not send a catalog anymore. Places like Hosfelt, Moteva or Ceitron. I do not say they are bad places to do business with but instead let say that for some reasons they no longer fit my needs...

I am not married to any of those suppliers so I am always comparing to find a better deal. Octopart is a very good tool for that. Digi-Key may not have the best prices and sometimes by quite a margin but it gives one of the best service I can find. When I need it tomorrow, it is the place that will get my order as it delivers 99% of the time.

I can obviously not list all the places I do business with but if you have any specific needs, do not hesitate to ask. I know lots of good suppliers and not only for electronics. (Hardware, tools, lighting, batteries etc...)

Good hunting and be careful with too good to be true offers or shady suppliers as there are counterfeit parts out there...

Regards,

michel:
i really want to thank you for taking the time to provide me with such detailed information!
mikeB.

I use Mouser and Digikey and haven't noticed any really outrageous shipping charges - I use USPS first class. They may ding you with extra charges if under $25. On the other hand, Allied Electronics tacks on a "handling charge" that is a little crazy.

Best to buy in bulk and sock away some extra parts for the next project.

I do use Ebay from time-to-time... mostly for some capacitor types, tube sockets and more obscure stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.