Tantalum Resistors...What's So Different ?. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2013, 02:54 AM   #21
yankee is offline yankee  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd like to agree with raj1s basic description of the tantalum resistor sound. My experience is with the old shinkohs purchased circa 2000. Metal films have a more etched sound and detailing but to varying degrees are clinical and unnatural compared to the tants. The effect of tants if you closely analyze the actual sound is softening of the sound in some ways, less sparkle, but more natural and emotive and yes a similar effect to 2nd order harmonics. They are the best I have heard as input signal path resistors. They dont sound good everywhere else. I am curious about the new audionote non-magnetic tants though has anyone any experience with those?
Old 7th November 2016, 11:38 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Sorry for being 3 years late...
Does anyone found a resistor very similar to the Shinkoh sound? I have tested many ( but not AN tantalum), including Allen Bradley 2W and some Caddock, but none was so good.
The new Takman metal film are extremely transparent and bright, but miss the Shinkoh realism in low-mid spectrum. Does anyone have compared the new Takman carbon resistors to Shinkoh?
Best! Tino
Old 7th November 2016, 11:52 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino_diy View Post
Does anyone found a resistor very similar to the Shinkoh sound? I have tested many ( but not AN tantalum), including Allen Bradley 2W and some Caddock, but none was so good.
The new Takman metal film are extremely transparent and bright, but miss the Shinkoh realism in low-mid spectrum. Does anyone have compared the new Takman carbon resistors to Shinkoh?
Best! Tino
Use a carbon composition resistor in parallel with a metal film one. The carbon composition unit should have about three times the resistance of the metal film one. You can adjust the ratio and brand of the carbon composition resistor to taste.
Old 7th November 2016, 12:43 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Interesting. I think one easy test would be mixing the Takman metal with Takman carbon and see what happens.
One should mix the low freq response of carbon with high freq response of metal film. So why not replace each resistor with a low pass carbon in parallel with high pass metal? Just joking!
Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 03:21 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino_diy View Post
Maybe the new Tepro RA
It's non magnetic and TCR is 25ppm
http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/teproRA.pdf

It has been compared to Shinkoh tantalums at Jeff's Place
Old 9th May 2017, 07:58 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Another contender

Hi, thanks for this new info!
Did you tried them? If so, what results did you get?
Do you know if they are sold even in EU?

I have done more comparison with Takman Rey (metal) and Takman Rex (carbon) finding best sounding results for carbon type.
I also made a panel test of Takman carbon vs. AN tantalum non-magnetic vs. Shinkoh and all preferred Shinkoh by far. AN tant was slightly better than Takman Rex.
Btw, I bought Takman from the very expensive hificollective.co.uk and both Rey and Rex are non-magnetic. Then I bought some chep Takman Rey from ebay and their bodies were magnetic. The seller says that original Takman Rey (metal) are magnetic, but I didn't believe him. Anyone had tested if the Takman Rey are magnetic?

Ciao!
Tino
Old 9th May 2017, 10:27 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hello Tino,
I've just checked the Takman rey I have here and they're not magnetic, I bought them from Parts ConneXion.
The datasheet also states that they are non magnetic.
I think the cheap ebay ones are fakes.

I was looking for some good resistors and I just found out of the new Tepro RAs,
so I haven't tried them yet, but they're are on my shortlist.

So far my shortlist is:
- Dale CMF60 or RN60 are non magnetic, not CMF55 RN55 those are often magnetic.
- the new Tepro RA
- the new Susumu RS, soon available at digikey
- Ohmite WN, miniature wirewound Non-Inductive, very good specs, for sale at Mouser
seems like an affordable version of the Rhopoint squaristor, econistor GG102 8G16A

Regards,
Danny
Old 9th May 2017, 11:07 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Miniature Ohmite WN are made with magnetic steel material.
I get them from Mouser last day's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CBE5B5FA-4126-473E-84DF-0A5E681EB615.JPG (263.3 KB, 184 views)
Old 10th May 2017, 12:50 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

The issue of fake components being sold on Ebay has become quite complicated. Initially, it was fairly easy to avoid Chinese/HK counterfeit sellers. However it now appears that some unscrupulous sellers from other countries (including the USA and UK) are buying these counterfeit components and on-selling them as the real deal.
Old 10th May 2017, 06:01 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundhappy View Post
Miniature Ohmite WN are made with magnetic steel material.
It's only the endcaps that are from steel, the leads are copper.
Are they good, any comparison ?

Hide this!Advertise here!