Need technical advice on battery and voltage problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have an OLD tape recorder that I wanted to make portable, so I cut the plug and wired a 9 volt battery up to it. It may seem pointless, but It is important to me to use this particular "memo-scriber" machine. My problem now is that I can't afford to buy that many nine volt batteries. I am not looking for great sound, the amp is made to run on batteries and works fine, I'm just looking for a longer street life. I have a couple of 12V batteries around, is there an easy way of converting it to 9V and keep rocking out longer? I know Lithium batteries last longer... is there such a thing as a rechargeable industrial 9V battery?

I have an inverter, but it's massive and I would rather not have to go that route.

Obviously I am no electrician, but any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

All lead-acid batteries are composed of 2 V cells. You can use five of them to get 10 V.

You can tap into the 12 V units (six cells) or even cut them up.

How close to 9V do you need to get? The 2 V cells will supply about 2.3 V while charging. You can add large diodes in series to drop about 0.6 to 0.75 Volts per diode.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.