Obbligato tinfoil/polyproylene ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2011, 10:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Obbligato tinfoil/polyproylene ?

Hello,
did anyone tried those caps : Obbligato 2.2uf/250vdc Tinfoil/film Coupling Cap en vente sur eBay.fr (fin le 23-fvr.-11 10:11:28 Paris) ?
I am looking for some caps for my DAC-AH passive mod. I currently use german NOS PIO, and I would like to try new ones.
A lot of people talk about Obbligato Premium (the gold ones), but I never read anything about those tin foil one.

Luc
Old 27th January 2011, 12:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

In general, tinfoil and polyprop is about as good as it gets unless you go to polystyrene or teflon and foil The latter two are difficult in source in larger values, HUGE, and expensive. I would say go for it if the price is right.
Old 27th January 2011, 11:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for you answer, well I will give a try.
For the fun of it, I will try 4 different caps and see which is the best for my needs and taste. I will try :
- Obbligato tinfoil/polypropylene
- Obbligato Premium
- Dynamicaps
- Auricaps
Each cap is 2.2 or 2 F. It will take some time, but it can be fun and instructive.
Old 2nd February 2011, 02:26 AM   #4
tyo94 is offline tyo94  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tyo94
Would you like to share the review after the test? Looks like Obbligato brand quite promising for value capacitor
Old 24th February 2011, 05:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Curious about your findings

I need 4 - 2.2uf caps for my Eminent technology planar speaker. I was also curious about the tinfoil cap. Did you get them and try them out yet? What application are you using them for?
Yes we are crazy audiophiles!

Thanks, Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilucio View Post
Thanks for you answer, well I will give a try.
For the fun of it, I will try 4 different caps and see which is the best for my needs and taste. I will try :
- Obbligato tinfoil/polypropylene
- Obbligato Premium
- Dynamicaps
- Auricaps
Each cap is 2.2 or 2 F. It will take some time, but it can be fun and instructive.
Old 24th February 2011, 06:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hello,
yes, I got them and I am currently testing testing them. I tried to let them time to burn-in, just in case... To be honest, I did not hear any big differences between the first listening and after 100 hours for any of them, except maybe for the Dynamicaps. But I am not sure, I listen to music in differents conditions (different hours with different volumes and different ambient noise...and different music...).
I will do another try with each of them soon, taking some notes this time. And compare what I hear listening to the same pieces of music at the same levels.
I use them at output of a DAC-AH, coupling to preamp.
For now, all I can say is that Dynamicaps provide a lot of details. But I read that somewhere, so maybe I heard what I wanted to hear.
I still don't know if I can hear any significant difference between the other three.
I will tell you this in a week or two

Luc
Old 27th February 2011, 02:28 PM   #7
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

arent they all essentially the same type of cap and same budget range? of those i favor the auricaps, partially because of price and partially because they are yellow and red. i prefer polystyrenes, or teflon or copper foil/teflon/polyprop for crucial positions, but use auricap, or relcap bypassed with teflon or copper foil of smaller value. tyhis is for signal caps, not crossover. i'm a headphone geek and first speakers im building are using digital xo

Last edited by qusp; 27th February 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 27th February 2011, 03:13 PM   #8
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default favorite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
arent they all essentially the same type of cap and same budget range? of those i favor the auricaps, partially because of price and partially because they are yellow and red. i prefer polystyrenes, or teflon or copper foil/teflon/polyprop for crucial positions, but use auricap, or relcap bypassed with teflon or copper foil of smaller value. tyhis is for signal caps, not crossover. i'm a headphone geek and first speakers im building are using digital xo
So, what is your favorite price/ performance coupling cap 2-4uf?
Old 27th February 2011, 07:06 PM   #9
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

multicap RTX (polystyrene film and tin foil), PPFXS (polypropelene film and tin foil) and auricap MPF (metalized polypropelene). then the panasonic polyprops are getting quite good also. not heaps of choice in that size for good caps, because i always prefer film and foil over metalized film if i can

i have other favorites, but then it becomes more about performance than price
Old 27th February 2011, 07:31 PM   #10
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
multicap RTX (polystyrene film and tin foil), PPFXS (polypropelene film and tin foil) and auricap MPF (metalized polypropelene). then the panasonic polyprops are getting quite good also. not heaps of choice in that size for good caps, because i always prefer film and foil over metalized film if i can

i have other favorites, but then it becomes more about performance than price
How much are the Multicaps? I think they are already way out of my price range. I can make a 3.3uf cap out of Dayton foil caps for $13.00. Ps. Wait till you get a good loudspeaker based system dialed in. You won't be using your headphones much anymore.

Hide this!Advertise here!