Obbligato tinfoil/polyproylene ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for you answer, well I will give a try.
For the fun of it, I will try 4 different caps and see which is the best for my needs and taste. I will try :
- Obbligato tinfoil/polypropylene
- Obbligato Premium
- Dynamicaps
- Auricaps
Each cap is 2.2 or 2 µF. It will take some time, but it can be fun and instructive.

Curious about your findings

I need 4 - 2.2uf caps for my Eminent technology planar speaker. I was also curious about the tinfoil cap. Did you get them and try them out yet? What application are you using them for?
Yes we are crazy audiophiles!

Thanks, Jeff

Thanks for you answer, well I will give a try.
For the fun of it, I will try 4 different caps and see which is the best for my needs and taste. I will try :
- Obbligato tinfoil/polypropylene
- Obbligato Premium
- Dynamicaps
- Auricaps
Each cap is 2.2 or 2 µF. It will take some time, but it can be fun and instructive.

Hello,
yes, I got them and I am currently testing testing them. I tried to let them time to burn-in, just in case... To be honest, I did not hear any big differences between the first listening and after 100 hours for any of them, except maybe for the Dynamicaps. But I am not sure, I listen to music in differents conditions (different hours with different volumes and different ambient noise...and different music...).
I will do another try with each of them soon, taking some notes this time. And compare what I hear listening to the same pieces of music at the same levels.
I use them at output of a DAC-AH, coupling to preamp.
For now, all I can say is that Dynamicaps provide a lot of details. But I read that somewhere, so maybe I heard what I wanted to hear.
I still don't know if I can hear any significant difference between the other three.
I will tell you this in a week or two :)

Luc

arent they all essentially the same type of cap and same budget range? of those i favor the auricaps, partially because of price and partially because they are yellow and red. i prefer polystyrenes, or teflon or copper foil/teflon/polyprop for crucial positions, but use auricap, or relcap bypassed with teflon or copper foil of smaller value. tyhis is for signal caps, not crossover. i'm a headphone geek and first speakers im building are using digital xo

Last edited:
favorite?

arent they all essentially the same type of cap and same budget range? of those i favor the auricaps, partially because of price and partially because they are yellow and red. i prefer polystyrenes, or teflon or copper foil/teflon/polyprop for crucial positions, but use auricap, or relcap bypassed with teflon or copper foil of smaller value. tyhis is for signal caps, not crossover. i'm a headphone geek and first speakers im building are using digital xo

So, what is your favorite price/ performance coupling cap 2-4uf?

multicap RTX (polystyrene film and tin foil), PPFXS (polypropelene film and tin foil) and auricap MPF (metalized polypropelene). then the panasonic polyprops are getting quite good also. not heaps of choice in that size for good caps, because i always prefer film and foil over metalized film if i can

i have other favorites, but then it becomes more about performance than price

Price?

multicap RTX (polystyrene film and tin foil), PPFXS (polypropelene film and tin foil) and auricap MPF (metalized polypropelene). then the panasonic polyprops are getting quite good also. not heaps of choice in that size for good caps, because i always prefer film and foil over metalized film if i can

i have other favorites, but then it becomes more about performance than price

How much are the Multicaps? I think they are already way out of my price range. I can make a 3.3uf cap out of Dayton foil caps for $13.00. Ps. Wait till you get a good loudspeaker based system dialed in. You won't be using your headphones much anymore.

Theta

I suggest the Audiocap Theta. It is made by Relcap and is IMHO equal to the polystyrenes. It is polyprop and foil, and available in the up to 10uf. Parts Express has them and they are far superior to the Dayton. Regards,

I've tried the Thetas head to head with the Dayton foils and find the Daytons slightly more transparent. They are also much cheaper but it is hard to get values above 3.3uf for crossovers. For low level signal coupling, 3.3uf is plenty.

400v

I keep forgetting that you folks are dealing with SS gear. I use tube units and need the higher voltage caps. I have not tried the Thetas in larger values, only their 600v caps for coupling in tube amps. My apologies.

That's funny because the engineer types always make fun of me for using such a huge, 400v cap for signal coupling and yet they are too small in voltage rating for you. The Daytons are the cheapest foil caps and are worth the amount of space they take up. Foil does sound better than metalized film though and the Thetas are pretty good. Too bad the Dayton foils aren't available in a 100v wind so that they could offer a 1, 2, and 3uf value so I wouldn't have to parallel 7 .47uf caps.

I wonder if Dayton uses tin or aluminum foil? Whichever, they are cheap as hell and if you say they sound good, I may find some LOW voltage uses for them. Thanks for turning me on. I am ALWAYS in need of cheap caps that sound good. Thanks again. I do hope that you can try teflon bypasses at some point. They are THAT good! Regards John Dozier

How much are the Multicaps? I think they are already way out of my price range. I can make a 3.3uf cap out of Dayton foil caps for $13.00. Ps. Wait till you get a good loudspeaker based system dialed in. You won't be using your headphones much anymore.

yeah well the first 2 are way over your limit then, about 40-50 for ~3uf, but there are a few values of auricap overstocked at parts connexion that will match that. there is a 2.2uf for around the 12 dollar mark from memory.

headphones will never leave my system, i'm guessing you have never heard a decent headphone setup. both excel at different things, for detail speed, pinpoint imaging and texture i dont care what speakers you have, my custom in ear monitor system will win for my taste, soundstage is obviously lacking in size by comparison, but its a different type of ss, same with feeling the bass, that doesnt happen, but it sure shakes the inside of my skull.

i wouldnt go without eitherand i have built myself a fully balanced portable buffalo ii dac/amp, with modified IV stage with gain and sabres digital volume control, that i drive with a modified iriver via coax and its about as transparent as any home source and not lacking power. cant take my speakers with me in my coat pocket and at home i can use the headphone system at any time and any volume i like without bothering anyone. i work late nights in the workshop and couldnt play music at a reasonable volume with speakers

Last edited:
Speakers vs headphones

yeah well the first 2 are way over your limit then, about 40-50 for ~3uf, but there are a few values of auricap overstocked at parts connexion that will match that. there is a 2.2uf for around the 12 dollar mark from memory.

headphones will never leave my system, i'm guessing you have never heard a decent headphone setup. both excel at different things, for detail speed, pinpoint imaging and texture i dont care what speakers you have, my custom in ear monitor system will win for my taste, soundstage is obviously lacking in size by comparison, but its a different type of ss, same with feeling the bass, that doesnt happen, but it sure shakes the inside of my skull.

i wouldnt go without eitherand i have built myself a fully balanced portable buffalo ii dac/amp, with modified IV stage with gain and sabres digital volume control, that i drive with a modified iriver via coax and its about as transparent as any home source and not lacking power. cant take my speakers with me in my coat pocket and at home i can use the headphone system at any time and any volume i like without bothering anyone. i work late nights in the workshop and couldnt play music at a reasonable volume with speakers
Yeah. Headphones have their place. I have Shure E3c canal phones, Sennheiser HD545, HD565, Grado SR60, HD497,HD477, HD212pro, Koss pro4A, PX100, Early Headroom crossfeed amp or various headphone stages fed by a direct out modified DEQ2496 with AK4395 dac chips running eq and stereo widening (the widening makes for the best headphone sound). For serious listning or passive component comparisons I still find a good loudspeaker set up to be more transparent and revealing with a natural soundstage that headphones can't produce. Many people have never heard a really transparent amp such as a modified TK2050.

Well, I finally tested all the caps, but I was fed up at the end and I did not compare them as scrupulously as I wanted.
The aim was to find the best coupling cap for the output of my passive Lite Dac-AH. The previous cap was a 4.7 µF german PIO, but the soundstage was a bit narrow and there was something wrong at high frequencies.
Candidates were :
- 2 µF Dynamicaps
- 2.2 µF Obbligato Tinfoil/polypropylene
- 2.2 µF Obbligato Premium
- 2.2 µF Auricap
I all run them once for about 100 hours each, trying to catch a first impression. Then I did a second round with the idea of comparing the sound with a Linn Classik all-in-one cd player/amplifier. As I was fed up, I did not complete, but what I can say is that the winner is Obbligato Tinfoil/polypropylene .With those caps, the sound is full, tones are right, music is good. I love the Dynamicaps too, which provide a very clear sound, with a lot of details. But I suspect the dac-ah having aggressive high frequencies and Dynamicap reproduce them very well :eek: . That is why I can not use them in these product, but I keep them for another project.
Auricaps are good average caps, but nothing magic compare to Dynamicap or Obbligato tinfoil. Idid not test Obbligato Premium a second time, but I would say that they made a pretty good job, something slighty more foot-taping than Auricaps, but I would not bet anything about this.
Clearely, Obbligato Tinfoil/polypro are good caps. They are rebranded SCR caps, which are made in France : good news for those who can grab them directly as SCR caps, because they are cheaper without the shiny gold "Obbligato" logo :D

Hope it will help !
Luc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.