where to get teeny tiny drill bits?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Digikey

has both high speed steel bits and carbide bits -- the HSS ones down to a few mills in size -- cutting a hole smaller than wire-wrap wire. I think that I use 0.033 and 0.040 most frequently.

I've also used drillbitcity. There's also a place in Kenilworth NJ which carries them by the thousands !

a word of advise on carbide bits -- forget about the Dremel drill press set up -- it isn't precise enough when pushing through the material and the slight off-centeredness causes bits to break -- i now use the carbide bits on my mill (not yet outfitted for CNC), and the hss ones with the Dremel -- just throw the bits away when they become unsharp.

jack

I've found a dremel to be an excellent tool for drilling PCBs. I've drilled hundreds of holes with it. No drillpress was used either. I've only broken one or two bits but I've got a lot of them because they're very cheap.

My drillbits fit into the dremel without an extra adapter because the tail end of the bit is thick enough (about 3mm).

You can also find them everywhere you find dremel accessories (Even www.amazon.com) :

Attachments

• dremel bit.jpg
    dremel bit.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 196
Try www.micromark.com. They have both carbide and non-carbide bits in very small sizes. Be sure your chuck will hold the small ones. Also unless you enjoy cursing and frustration, do not use the carbide bitss with a hand held drill -- they will break if you even look cross-eyed at them. Check out the variety of small taps as well -- very handy for mounting components to heat sinks and other tasks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.