A jeweler's silver wire- just as good? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2011, 08:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A jeweler's silver wire- just as good?

I ordered some 1mm 99.9% silver wire from a jeweler. they will be used in the tweeter circuit of my diy 3way monitors. Will they be as good as a brand name silver wire? have I cheaped out too much? I will be comparing them to 18 gauge cardas litz copper wires that I hoe to replace.
Old 20th January 2011, 01:35 PM   #2
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Imo, IF it is pure silver it will be fine. Jewelers often use sterling or other alloys, they are not so good usually. Of course you will be getting (presumably) solid core wire, which may or may not be annealed, so be careful about that. That means the silver could be hard or soft... probably soft though... also I have personally found the subjective impression of solid care silver, indeed all silver wire, to be rather different than copper, and definitely different than a litz construction copper wire... imho, fyi, and ymmv of course.

_-_-bear

PS. what sort of price did you get?
PPS. I prefer much heavier gauge wire on my tweeters... and for internal speaker wiring in general, again ymmv.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

i got it for $8 per meter, in China. It's reliable that it should be 99.9% silver, though. the gauge for the tweeter circuit was chosen not by me but the cardas website, though I can't find it atm.
do you think doubling up 1mm wires will be enough? I too am iffy about using just single strand of it.
Old 21st January 2011, 04:17 AM   #4
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

From China, or you are in China??

Not sure what you mean, except maybe Cardas suggests this gauge??

I don't know from metric diameters, only US wire gauges... but my experience with tweeters and wire gauges is that oddly enough thinner wire makes the tweeter sound well, ummm, thinner? I'm not sure and don't have a good theory on it, but there it is... everyone can go try that for themselves, measure, listen and decide.

I guess that depending on the lengths involved and the ultimate quality of the speaker, the drivers and the supporting system that some experimentation might be in order to see what the subjective result is... for example is there an audible difference between two paralleled uninsulated strands and two paralleled insulated strands, how about twisted? Etc...

_-_-
Old 21st January 2011, 04:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The amount of current determines the cross-section of any wire. Bigger diameter wire will have less internal resistance for a similar length.

Of course there is a lot of debate about AC characteristics of larger diameter wire. I won't go into that.

And all branded wire begins life as generic wire unless there is a substanial modification or proprietary process. If the purity is reliable, I suspect if should be as good.
Old 22nd January 2011, 01:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
From China, or you are in China??

_-_-
If I buy it in China doesn't it automatically make it from China also? Yes, I'm in China.
Old 23rd January 2011, 12:24 AM   #7
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Just trying to understand what you were saying... it (wire) being from China, or you being from China. Both makes it simple

_-_-bear
Old 23rd January 2011, 02:12 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

the silver wire i bought is too short. I will have to order some extra and hold off this experiment for two weeks or so...

Last edited by PreSapian; 23rd January 2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 23rd January 2011, 04:07 AM   #9
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

I compared the Cardas (bare) silver wire to jeweller's wire. I specified pure silver for one set (.99 vs. Cardas .999) and can hear absolutely no difference either when used as an interconnect (single strand) or as tweeter wire (two strands).

I also use a specific alloy that is less than sterling but not pure silver, and it doesn't do very well at high currents but is fantastic for interconnects - comparing very favourably to a $500 brand-name interconnect (if you believe in that sort of thing).
Old 23rd January 2011, 11:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Regarding silver tweeter wire

The only time I have ever seen silver wire in industrial use was in the twin preamps for a Tektronics tube scope that were good to 40Mhz -- way beyond audio and with extremely low signal levels that may have been affected by the added resistance in copper wire. (These were tube preamps with 12AU7s specifically matched by Tektronics.)

Since the audio bandwidth is so much narrower - especially for the tweeter - and the power output to the tweeter is so much higher, I personally doubt that one could hear anything different using copper in lieu of silver, much less the difference between 99.9% and beyond.

In sum, it strikes me as an odd place to bother with it.

I am sure someone will disagree and claim that they subjectively hear the difference, but you may not be able to find an objective demonstration of added performance on sophisticated test equipment.

Hide this!Advertise here!