Any Truncated Frame 7" Woofers around?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks,
I am looking for potential drivers for a driver retrofit. I have 175mm of width to work with(a shade under 7 inches) and I am trying to find a woofer with a truncated frame with across-flats dimensions of 175 or less. I really am looking for something in the class of the Dayton RS-180 or so.. I have searched PartsExpress and Madisound and I ran into a few peerless HDS and SDS models with the truncated frame. These were all 6.5 models... Yes, I do understand that the difference between 6.5 and 7 inch models might be minusicle but I am trying to get as much cone area in the space I have to work with.. Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Can you post pictures of your pplication. You are really limiting your possibilities.

dave

Indeed. I will of course go for a 6 or 6.5 with a truncated frame if I cant find one.
I snapped a picture of the cabinet. The front waveguide and plastic baffle will be removed and I plan to cut a new baffle (or have one made somewhere). The new baffle fits between the side pannels. Total overall width is 7.5 inches. Side panels are 0.75 across each so I have about 5.75 inches (146 mm) of cutout to play with and about 7 inches (177 mm) of overall dimensions(no countersinking) for the frame and screw holes. The cabinet I am trying to re-use is the cab of an Infinity Reference 2000.5. I have about 1.3 Cu-Ft and a very nice 2 inch port (12 inches long). It also has an aperiodic filter on the lower front of the cabinet. So I am looking for a medium QTS (0.35 to 0.5) woofer with an FS under 40hz..

f6d3ff0e.jpg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You have to be very wary of getting the backside of the driver/ I'd actually be looking for something smaller, so as to reduce the reflections off the sides back thru the cone.

I'd also approach the new driver by making a piece that mounts from the back and fills the hole (althou a new baffle probably a whole lot easier.

What is the net volume of the box?

dave

You have to be very wary of getting the backside of the driver/ I'd actually be looking for something smaller, so as to reduce the reflections off the sides back thru the cone.

I'd also approach the new driver by making a piece that mounts from the back and fills the hole (althou a new baffle probably a whole lot easier.

What is the net volume of the box?

dave
Yup. I was thinking about not getting too close to the sides hence the 0.25 inch margin for the cutout. The speaker originally had a 6.5 inch driver in it. The net interior volume is 1.33 cubic feet. Hoping to get sub 40hz F3 from it. If I want to re-use the current crossover I need a DCR of about 6 ohms to get a crossover point of 2.8 khz.
I initially picked the Madisound 6102-8 for its FS and QTS but then I figured I did not want a stamped frame so I am back in the hunt.
About mounting the drivers, I will be lucky to use the current baffle If I find a driver that matches the dimensions but I am not sweating it. I will just order some pre-cut baffles (If I can find someone to cut them for me that is).

I did research a large number of drivers and I created an Excel spreadsheet. The drivers are sorted in order of increasing Fs

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.