Any Truncated Frame 7" Woofers around? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2011, 06:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any Truncated Frame 7" Woofers around?

Folks,
I am looking for potential drivers for a driver retrofit. I have 175mm of width to work with(a shade under 7 inches) and I am trying to find a woofer with a truncated frame with across-flats dimensions of 175 or less. I really am looking for something in the class of the Dayton RS-180 or so.. I have searched PartsExpress and Madisound and I ran into a few peerless HDS and SDS models with the truncated frame. These were all 6.5 models... Yes, I do understand that the difference between 6.5 and 7 inch models might be minusicle but I am trying to get as much cone area in the space I have to work with.. Any suggestions would be appreciated..
Old 17th January 2011, 06:49 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Can you post pictures of your pplication. You are really limiting your possibilities.

dave
Old 17th January 2011, 03:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Can you post pictures of your pplication. You are really limiting your possibilities.

dave
Indeed. I will of course go for a 6 or 6.5 with a truncated frame if I cant find one.
I snapped a picture of the cabinet. The front waveguide and plastic baffle will be removed and I plan to cut a new baffle (or have one made somewhere). The new baffle fits between the side pannels. Total overall width is 7.5 inches. Side panels are 0.75 across each so I have about 5.75 inches (146 mm) of cutout to play with and about 7 inches (177 mm) of overall dimensions(no countersinking) for the frame and screw holes. The cabinet I am trying to re-use is the cab of an Infinity Reference 2000.5. I have about 1.3 Cu-Ft and a very nice 2 inch port (12 inches long). It also has an aperiodic filter on the lower front of the cabinet. So I am looking for a medium QTS (0.35 to 0.5) woofer with an FS under 40hz..

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th January 2011, 07:06 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You have to be very wary of getting the backside of the driver/ I'd actually be looking for something smaller, so as to reduce the reflections off the sides back thru the cone.

I'd also approach the new driver by making a piece that mounts from the back and fills the hole (althou a new baffle probably a whole lot easier.

What is the net volume of the box?

dave
Old 17th January 2011, 07:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You have to be very wary of getting the backside of the driver/ I'd actually be looking for something smaller, so as to reduce the reflections off the sides back thru the cone.

I'd also approach the new driver by making a piece that mounts from the back and fills the hole (althou a new baffle probably a whole lot easier.

What is the net volume of the box?

dave
Yup. I was thinking about not getting too close to the sides hence the 0.25 inch margin for the cutout. The speaker originally had a 6.5 inch driver in it. The net interior volume is 1.33 cubic feet. Hoping to get sub 40hz F3 from it. If I want to re-use the current crossover I need a DCR of about 6 ohms to get a crossover point of 2.8 khz.
I initially picked the Madisound 6102-8 for its FS and QTS but then I figured I did not want a stamped frame so I am back in the hunt.
About mounting the drivers, I will be lucky to use the current baffle If I find a driver that matches the dimensions but I am not sweating it. I will just order some pre-cut baffles (If I can find someone to cut them for me that is).

I did research a large number of drivers and I created an Excel spreadsheet. The drivers are sorted in order of increasing Fs

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by kchilaka; 17th January 2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The baffle and waveguide are gorgeous.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Here's another one: Aurum Cantus AC-180F1D 7" DVC Woofer | Parts-Express.com
Old 18th January 2011, 01:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
The AC-180 has too large a frame. Over 180mm. I have but 170mm to play with.

Hide this!Advertise here!