Asc/Angela vs Black Gate caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ASC Caps are the same ones Allied Electronics are selling(cheaper too), they are motor run caps, Oil type, although not paper-in-oil. I have used them on power supplies and ultra-path caps, they are very reliable. Black gates are electrolytic, the only BG I have used are for cathode-bypass, I have not used their power supply caps(unreasonably expensive, IMHO). Anyway, as for reliability, I think the ASC will last longer as electrolytic will tend to dry-up, although, in a very long time. Sonically, depending on where you use them, they do sound different from each other. Being one is electrolytic and the other Oil Polypropylene type.

Alex Deveza

if you can get any, try elna cerfines. .they don't cost as much as black gates and are excellent if not better.

they don't have the extremely long break-ins as BGs have and if you don't run your amp for a while, you won't have to break them in again like you do for BGs.

Of course, if you can afford it, go for film caps over electrolytic such as the large Ansar Supersounds.

hardcore said:
Hi ,
Looking for opinions on the ASC/Angela vs. BG in a JELab 300bdx setting?
What are the pros and cons of each type of cap? Are the ASC reliable?

TIA

I have a few ASC X386S series in my amps, all 100u/370vac. Sound great, very cheap, and if used within spec should last a hell of a long time being industrial grade parts.

I do not that Gary Dahl says he found they 'sang along', something I've never noticed with them.

I won't use BG's as they're stupid money for PS caps, and I try not to use coupling or cathode bypasses at all.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Thought I'd chip in...

Of course, if you can afford it, go for film caps over electrolytic such as the large Ansar Supersounds.

I feel the Ansar are even better than the ASC.

Never tried the BGs so far, price and those extraordinary break-in period made me rather skeptical...add to that that I fail to see how they can beat a good filmcap...

But I could well be wrong rejecting the BGs...as a coupling cap I'd filmcaps unless an extremely large value is called for.

Cheers,;)

arnoldc said:
I use Panasonic TS-UP 500V caps (i'm cheap :rolleyes: BG is too expensive) for PSU

Thanks for the tip. I'd noticed these in the catalogues but hadn't bought any. I've used the Pana TSHA, TSHB and FC's in amps before to good effect. Not as good as PP's but far from ear-bleeding bad, as well as being modestly priced and small.

Been eying a sort of Manley Mahi clone to find a use for the Brooklyn OPTs I have, but no NFB and all class A and the Pana caps would actually fit in the chassis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.