Impedance EQ parts? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2011, 06:02 PM   #1
8675309 is offline 8675309  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Impedance EQ parts?

I spent a couple of hours searching the net and this site for my answer. I tend to use cheap parts for my crossover design and testing. I then use higher quality parts for the final build. My question is this; does it matter on the part quality of an impedance EQ? I have been working on an impedance eq that has been pricey using cheaper parts. Will I benefit by upgrading to higher quality parts?

For example going from a cheaper non polarized cap to say a polypropylene cap? And so on with the inductors and resistors. I am still new to impedance eqs, but I am trying to learn by experimenting with different things.

The impedance filter has been designed for a full range driver paired with a supper tweeter; is this a good idea? If not please help me understand why this is not a good idea.

Thanks
Old 8th January 2011, 12:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I believe you mean "passive crossover" and, yes the quality of the parts matter.
In these types of x-over only use non-polorized capacitors. Inductors should be air-core only as any metallic core will saturate (at higher audio levels) and therefore distort the sound.
I have not tried it, but I think that you could do a good simulation of a x-over in LT-Spice
E
Old 8th January 2011, 01:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

No not passive only

I was talking about Impedance EQ only. Passive I do use quality parts; with an impedance eq, do you need quality? IMO this is a circuit only and not a SQ build that is why I am asking if it will work? I am a 2 time world champion car audio guy so I understand active sound. I can build passive xovers and have been for 20 years. My question is on zobel or impedance xovers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymoose View Post
I believe you mean "passive crossover" and, yes the quality of the parts matter.
In these types of x-over only use non-polorized capacitors. Inductors should be air-core only as any metallic core will saturate (at higher audio levels) and therefore distort the sound.
I have not tried it, but I think that you could do a good simulation of a x-over in LT-Spice
E

Last edited by 8675309; 8th January 2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 8th January 2011, 03:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ddummy me, enlighten me as to what an impedance eq/crossover is.

Thanks, E
Old 8th January 2011, 06:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8675309 View Post

My question is this; does it matter on the part quality of an impedance EQ?
I doubt. RC and RLC are shunt networks. There's no real need to use costly polypropylenes, resistors and inductors. As long as they are properly rated, it's fine.

Mike
Old 8th January 2011, 07:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

mickeymoose
sorry for beeing rude. Had a bad day and I should have never been rude.

Hide this!Advertise here!