Impedance EQ parts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I spent a couple of hours searching the net and this site for my answer. I tend to use cheap parts for my crossover design and testing. I then use higher quality parts for the final build. My question is this; does it matter on the part quality of an impedance EQ? I have been working on an impedance eq that has been pricey using cheaper parts. Will I benefit by upgrading to higher quality parts?

For example going from a cheaper non polarized cap to say a polypropylene cap? And so on with the inductors and resistors. I am still new to impedance eq’s, but I am trying to learn by experimenting with different things.

The impedance filter has been designed for a full range driver paired with a supper tweeter; is this a good idea? If not please help me understand why this is not a good idea.

Thanks

I believe you mean "passive crossover" and, yes the quality of the parts matter.
In these types of x-over only use non-polorized capacitors. Inductors should be air-core only as any metallic core will saturate (at higher audio levels) and therefore distort the sound.
I have not tried it, but I think that you could do a good simulation of a x-over in LT-Spice
E

No not passive only

I was talking about Impedance EQ only. Passive I do use quality parts; with an impedance eq, do you need quality? IMO this is a circuit only and not a SQ build that is why I am asking if it will work? I am a 2 time world champion car audio guy so I understand active sound. I can build passive xovers and have been for 20 years. My question is on zobel or impedance xovers.
I believe you mean "passive crossover" and, yes the quality of the parts matter.
In these types of x-over only use non-polorized capacitors. Inductors should be air-core only as any metallic core will saturate (at higher audio levels) and therefore distort the sound.
I have not tried it, but I think that you could do a good simulation of a x-over in LT-Spice
E

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.