Looking for off-the-wall oil caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I am fixing to build the Tim Mellow OTL and in the power supply there is eight 6800uf, 64v caps. I would like to find them in aluminum so they can stick out on top of the copper chassis I have. Any one know of a cap of that value in aluminum?

Hi djn,
Are you kidding? No offence but I think you know that all electrolytic caps
are house in an alluminium can.Just remove the shrink wrap and there you go,
of course minus the markings or you want those that have marking on bare alluminium?
But industry manufacture is that most use shrink wrap unfortunately or is it?

ps just don't clamp them too tight if you don't want leakage or damage.

Sorry djn I didn't see header you want oil caps at 6800uf 64Volts.Most oil caps don't come this big or in such low voltage as most are motor run type meant for standard 110 or higher .Wish you luck. Unless you want to custom order? Singa

Last edited:

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Hi djn,

Make sure you mark the polarity somehow before you remove the label wraps from electrolytic caps. And you'll probably want to mark the value and rating somewhere before you forget that too. ;)

How's your rat amplifier coming?

..Todd

Thanks for the tip Todd. The rat amp is just sort of sitting there. We are moving out of this house and into an appartment in four months so i am trying to get a bunch of work done on all my projects that I won't be able to do in the apartment. I just have to wire it, othere than that it is complete.

Yep, I really like the looks of a polished cap. On my GM70 amp, I have 4 of them sticking out from the top plate. All 4 are 2.5" dia. and 2 of them are 7.5" tall and the other 2 are 5" tall. They look great. That is another project I am half done with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.