Vishay Dale RN65D (1003F) resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I've tried to search for information as where to get these resistors, but can't fine any up to date info. Also searched these forums but not getting wiser…

Where can I buy these Vishay-Dale RN65D resistors (live in Finland/Europe)? Mouser has them, but you'd have to order a quantity of 1000 pieces.

Or would anyone happen to have some of these in stock? I'm trying to get 50k with a beefed up wattage. The amp in question uses two of these 100k resistors in parallel (didn’t stand in use) so I’m thinking of doubling that.

So what I'd need is per amp is 4 pieces of 200k resistors, or 8 pieces of 400k or even 8 pieces of 100k resistors. With two mono amps the actual amount of resistors would of coarse be double this.

I'd pay of course if some one was willing to sell/help. :)

If you are looking for sonic performance, why don't you try texascomponents.com and look for audio grade resistors? They can make whatever resistance value you needed. I used two of their z-foil bulk metal resistors in my phono amp and the improvement is immediately noticeable.

The military was using 2 lead resistors up until about 1980; running the line a little longer and selling to consumers was the way to go. Consumers weren't buying too many metal film resistors in 1980, carbon comp still ruled. As far as reliability, the base military marking like RN65 or CC05 didn't mean anything. It just meant the resistor was allegedly built like a military program part. If NASA or military was buying anything for space or combat , there was a special program involving guarenteed lot testing paperwork, (still sample test, 100% test was even more special) for an extra price. The military is all surface mount package now, so 2 lead package mil spec anything is a dodo bird. Back in the day there was a lot of grey market military stuff that surplus houses like d***-*** etc. bought up from military contract cancellations and overruns, and some places sold absolute rejects. I have gotten RN55 and 65 parts in R**** S***** grab bags, but that was long ago.
The consumer market has moved from carbon comp resistors to metal film and the prices are down from 1980. Last spring I replaced the carbon comp plate & feedback & RIAA curve resistors in my tube PAS2 preamp with generic (newark multicomp made in india) metal film resistors, and there was a noticeable decrease in hiss. I checked resistance with a meter, they were all in spec. However, have fun, it is your hobby.

Last edited:
The higher the resistance, the higher the noise, for any given technology, the theory says. Multi-hundred Kohm plate resistors are a natch, and are clearly audibly better in metal film than carbon composition. I did change a couple of 1K cathode resistors, and couldn't hear any difference. So it depends on the value of your input resistor whether you will hear an improvement or not. I got rid of an annoying frying pan noise in my transistor amp by replacing the tantalum input caps with (John Curl will fire up his bazooka to object) 50V ceramic bypass caps. (The frying pan caps were themselves replacements, probably bad the day I bought them off the bargain table @ sterling E. .)

The higher the resistance, the higher the noise, for any given technology, the theory says. Multi-hundred Kohm plate resistors are a natch, and are clearly audibly better in metal film than carbon composition. I did change a couple of 1K cathode resistors, and couldn't hear any difference. So it depends on the value of your input resistor whether you will hear an improvement or not. I got rid of an annoying frying pan noise in my transistor amp by replacing the tantalum input caps with (John Curl will fire up his bazooka to object) 50V ceramic bypass caps. (The frying pan caps were themselves replacements, probably bad the day I bought them off the bargain table @ sterling E. .)

Cheap tants are little firecrackers looking for an excuse to explode...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.