Identify vintage tube radio parts. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2010, 07:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Identify vintage tube radio parts.

Can anyone tell me what these are?
I think they´re from an old Radionett Kvintett stereo radio.

Some sort of line input/output transformers?

When it comes to tube gear im completely lost. Throw away or try out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parts_1.jpg (93.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg parts_2.jpg (88.2 KB, 62 views)
Old 12th December 2010, 01:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The one one the left might be IF (intermediate frequency) modulation coils for possible the 10.7 mhz or the something khz superhet mixer stages. Miller coils used to make these, I have one I picked up for $.50 and haven't found a use for. You could possible sell this off on an antique radio repair website.
On the right, there are a zillion non-standard transformers. I have built a jig involving fuses in and out, a 24 VAC transformer, a wall plug , test jig and series resistor (6 ohm 130 watt), for testing transformers at 60 hz to see what winding ratio they are. If heavy containing iron, might be 60 hz, if light, maybe some other frequency. New 60 hz transformers are so expensive now, with everybody going to xxxxxx hz switchers that might emit RF to your audio, that it is becoming worthwhile to examine old junk transformers for function instead of buying new ones.

Last edited by indianajo; 12th December 2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12th December 2010, 02:35 PM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

These look like dual-frequency IF transformers, for 455kHz AM and 10.7mHz FM. Don't put them anywhere near a power supply - they are intended for valve anode/grid circuits.

If you don't want them put them on ebay. You might not get a huge amount for them, but this sort of thing is no longer made so some people will be very happy to buy them.
Old 12th December 2010, 03:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

So thats a no go on the hook it up to 24v then?

I also found some tubes and and two output transformers. Brimar ECL86, Phillips Miniwatt ECH81 + ECC85 and two more im not sure about. I think one are Tesi EM84.

I should be able to use some of these to make a tube buffer for my DAC, but... 50 year old tube parts in a DAC? Maybe better if I get one of ebay so I dont wreck a lot of vintage parts others might want.
Old 12th December 2010, 04:43 PM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Other valves in there could be EF85, EF89, EBF89, EABC80, EB91. There was a fairly standard line-up in Europe for an AC mains AM/FM radio, although obviously some variation. Not many of these were stereo, although some may include a transistor stereo decoder.

Hide this!Advertise here!